Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never had issues housebreaking any of our dogs, but our 5-month-old lab is still peeing in the house!! ACK!!!! He sleeps in a crate and has no problem holding it overnight. He pees on command as soon as we let him outside, and we let him outside many times throughout the day. He is very well exercised also. He has gone days on end without going in the house, but today he has gone twice in the house - just doesn't seem to grasp the concept that it's not acceptable. I caught him in the act the first time, yelled, and he stopped. I rushed him outside and he finished - with lots of praise. Then 2 hours later, he peed in the house again.

Anybody else had an un-housebroken dog at this age?? Any ideas, suggestions? Dawn

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is he always going in the same spot, or is he going throughout the house?
Jenica took a long time to housebreak until we finally caught on that she was always going in the same spot - on a rug. Once we removed the rug, she stopped going in the house. So even with cleaning we probably never got rid of the smell.
The other thought is: Does he know how he can get outside to go there? We taught both of ours that they have to wait/sit in front of the door and the door to the backyard will open. That also helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Could he possibly have a UTI?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Could be either a UTI or marking. All I know that worked for mine...some short term...was to act like the sky had fallen when you see them do it and rush them outside. If they keep going back to that spot even after they have already eliminated outside and not really had a lot to drink; I'd definitely say it's marking.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
My Gracie did the same thing for a while. She is 7 mo old now and still has accidents sometimes. I just keep correcting her and putting her out. She does seem to be getting it. My old lab I housebroke very easily...this one is taking a little more time, but they will learn I am sure:) Good luck.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
How soon I forget....when do they finish getting all their adult teeth? The reason I ask is that my breeder had told me to not be surprised if Guthrie had accidents when he was teething. Perhaps it is just accidents related to this?

Dawn...congratulations on you new puppy! I think of you often.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I would take a sample for a UTI check. Even after his UTI cleared up, Bruno would often dribble a line to the door on his way out. I thought it was cute because I don't have carpet and it's easy to clean. After he got older, it stopped. Some puppies must have a harder time holding it than others.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Dylan wasn't completely clean until almost a year old but I have ceramic tiles and he always "went" there !

Just persevere once that he has checked out medically and it will eventually bear fruit !

If you are house proud I suppose that it is more difficult ! I like a clean house but it's easy to clean up on hard surfaces - even laminate !

If you have carpet I'm sorry !

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
First, have him checked for a UTI. If that is ruled out, then you know it isn't a physical problem.

Clean the area where he has been going with a product designed to remove the smell; Urine Gone, Nature's Miracle, something like that. Watch him like a hawk, and the second he starts to even sniff the area, make a loud "ACK!" sound and rush him outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts