Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my post ("Poor Puff" in O&E) I mentioned volunteering today at my local NPR station. I did a double shift (2X 3 hrs) and in the second shift, "Pat", one of us 5 volunteers sat just to my left. During our frequent less-busy times, our group discussed a variety of things -- world events, the US medical care system, etc. At 6 PM, at the end of our day's pledge drive, we left and Pat & I rode down the elevator together, alone.

Earlier, Pat had said nothing about recogninizing me but, in the elevator, she said something in essence like "I really want to thank you for the group you did for the YWCA on divorcing people. It helped me a lot. So thank you, very much."

GOSH! That was so very long ago (the '70s) I'd not thought of it for years. A new director for the YWCA had been brought in to revitalize the YW and I met her at a community meeting and almost instantly appreciated her vitality and purpose & so volunteered to help her (& the YW). We discussed local needs/my skills and decided on my giving a series of 6 week group meetings for those going through a divorce or separation. I think I did maybe 4 or 5 of these.

Pat was in one of those.

Pat went on to form (apparently?) a successful marriage.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
That's great! Its always nice to hear when you've helped someone. :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Neat. It's nice that she finally said something. You must have made quite a difference in her life for her to remember you from so long ago.

Good job, Bob. ;)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Good for you Bob. It sure is nice when someone from your past comes and thanks you for what you did for them long ago. I find it to be a more meaningful message than an immediate acknowledgment. It tells me that the positive was long lasting. Good for you!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Good for you Bob. It sure is nice when someone from your past comes and thanks you for what you did for them long ago. I find it to be a more meaningful message than an immediate acknowledgment. It tells me that the positive was long lasting. Good for you!
My feelings exactly, Ed.

So glad you got that thanks, Bob. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts