Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this should be in the puppy section but it will get more traffic here!

Ziggy bites all the time! We yell ouch and stand up and ingnore but as soon as you sit again he bites! My livingroom is filled with chew toys. I am at my wits end! Ziggy will be 11 weeks on wednesday, we have had him for 3 weeks. can anyone help? offer advise? anything?

This is the 3rd try to post this, I keep getting error messages.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Boy that's one thing I don't miss!!!!!

What we did with all three : Yell NO BITE and immediately give him a nylabone or something to redirect him.

Other than that Ter, how's it going with him?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy that's one thing I don't miss!!!!!

What we did with all three : Yell NO BITE and immediately give him a nylabone or something to redirect him.

Other than that Ter, how's it going with him?
He seems so smart, we haven't had an accident in the house for 3 days (he's got us well trained!) He sits to have his leash on and off, sits before meals and most of the time dosen't eat untill we say ok. He is just so much more rowdy then Koko ever was. The biting has me at my wits end! I'm begining to wounder if I should of gotten another puppy! :eek:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Just keep in mind - the biting is a puppy thing. He will grow out of it!! Don't give up, and don't question your decision. :) You just said he's smart, so he'll get it.

We will help you get through this!! :)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'll tell you what we did, and I'm sure that there will be a number of people who will be appalled, but all three of ours were extremely nippy, and what we did was roll their upper lip onto their own teeth, give it some slight pressure, and say No Bite with some emphasis.

I'm not talking about hurting them; just enough pressure that they take notice. All three of ours stopped nipping within a week and not one of them has required therapy to deal with any psychological trauma caused by it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Holy crap Robin, I'm appalled!

NOT!
:)

I think that's an excellent idea! You're not hurting him, just giving him a little push.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
oh how I remember bathing myself in bitter apple when zoe was a puppy. i tried the redirecting thing too...but i guess i tasted better. have you tried the loud pitch yelp. that works, too; sometimes. and yes, i've also grabbed the muzzle and yelped or said NO BITE ... they do grow out of it but it's no fun during this stage.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
have you tried the loud pitch yelp.
Oh yea, that's what we did with Frankie - I forgot all about it! :) He came up and bit me hard, totally unexpected. I yelped LOUD and it scared the crap out of him. That was the last time he bit.

I forget how old when they're out of this stage. Isn't this about the age when they start teething?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I know it will end I can get through it, it's my family I'm not so sure of...My 10 yr old seems to stay upstairs away from Ziggy and this summer he is the one who will be spending the most time with Ziggy!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
If I know it will end I can get through it, it's my family I'm not so sure of...My 10 yr old seems to stay upstairs away from Ziggy and this summer he is the one who will be spending the most time with Ziggy!
Boy do I remember those days, seriously its one of the things that keep me from getting a new pup TODAY! I really am having puppy fever these days- But no don't miss the biting, funny thing is DH doesn't remember it being "that bad", WTH I have pants I can't wear anymore because of the holes in them:D Well its funny now- just wanted to let you know we all share your pain, hang in there. By summer he should be so much better, I wouldn't be worried about your boy! I also did the "lip" thing with Sammi, and I kept a few frozen nylabones ready to go for her, she seemed to like the cold especially during the worst of the teething, good luck- soon you will have a wonderful pup that the whole family can enjoy! Di

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Terri, it's like you can read my mind!

Penny is a constant biter. We yell "ow!!" and tell her "no bite", our house is scattered with toys so we can redirect her, yet people seem to taste soooooo much better than those toys. Oh and she's FAST!!! She'll come out of nowhere and chomp your foot or your hand...whatever she can reach, it's crazy!

We just keep on doing what we're doing and figure that she'll get it eventually. She's only around 8 weeks now so she's still just a baby. I'm sure Ziggy will get it sooner or later too :D

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I have felt your pain. For a while, we thought Toby was part alligator and had the scars to illustrate the relationship! We also did the yelp/no thing, the redirection to an approved toy, the muzzle grab, and the lipping him to emphasize that teeth are sharp and uncomfortable. Eventually it was just time and losing the last of the razor teeth... and then he got it all back when we got Chamois and he became her favorite chew-toy!

Hang in there. It's a tough one but it IS just a puppy stage and will pass!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Zoe was a monster.

We directed her w/those skinny rawhide chewy things (Bob Pr. did this too)
also, our behaviorist suggested tabs of peanut butter or butter on your fingers, arms, to teach your puppy to lick. <--we learned this too late; Zoe was out of her bitey phase.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.