Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all you lab people out there...I thought i posted this yesterday, but didn't see it when i looked...
I have a few questions now that i have put myself int his lab world! I have a 10 week old, Tonka....My mom keeps making me feel bad by saying his behavior is caused by the fact that we "took" him at 7 weeks. The breeder said it was fine!! But anyway he is really nippy, and my mom says that the pups mom would have taught him not to be...really in a week?! And that the reason he is crying at night...last night it was alot....is because he never learned to sleep by himself...I am getting annoyed, but if she is right than i need to get over it.
He has s oem nights he sleeps fine, but my husband was coming home between 11-12 the last 4 nites, and it hink that just messed him up. Last nite he cried at 1130 for about 5 min, than at 230 for an hr...i finally gave up and squirted him with h20/vinegar solution...he quited right down and went back to sleep til 6.
He has the litter box, so i know he didn't need to go out. I am getting rid of it, but waiting til my husband gets home, so next week. I am not the only one doing the middle of the night walking...i did that with our 3 babies!!! LOL
Any and all advice welcome...THANK YOU!!!!!
ps, hope you all have a great day too..

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
7 weeks is fine. Anything younger than that is too young. Mom is long gone by 6 weeks and she doesn't correct the puppy for nipping. For the most part, Mom just looks pitiful as the puppies attack her, looking to nurse. It's the other littermates who correct and teach bite inhibition. Labs are mouthy and nippy, whether they go home at 7 weeks or at 8 weeks.

The reason why he's crying at night is because he's been ripped away from everything he knows and is afraid and lonely. Where do you have his bed? For the first few nights/weeks I recommend having the puppy closeby in the same room so he knows you're there and you can hear him if he needs to go out.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Labby is right, I got my Gracie at 7 weeks and she was nipper, very mouthy and is just starting to break out of it ( 1 years old). Lola my new lab I also got at 7 weeks and she NEVER nips, so it is just the pup I guess. If the pups crate is not in your room, try that it may help. My first Lab Casey cried many of nights even with me in my room, they are just babies and they are alone for the first time in months. Be patient it will pass and soon she will be sleeping through the night:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would try to place a blanket or sheet over the crate. We did that with both of our dogs at night and the crying stopped after a few nights. Nipping is something that puppies do......grab your pups mouth and let him know your not happy with it, its not being mean, its being stern. I went through the nipping with both of my dogs and had that under control very quickly also. You have to be more persistent than your dog.....let your dog know now who is in control or you will have a very big dog still nipping at you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with Laura, they learn bite inhibition from their litter mates, not their mama. It is fine for a pup to go to their forever home at 7 weeks but some breeders prefeer to keep them till 8 weeks. I know my first lab Saedee was much mouthier and nippier than my others and she came to me at 8 weeks of age. I do believe the other pups learned bite inhibition from the other dogs as puppies. I know my hands had far fewer needle teeth marks in them.

One trick I learned with Saedee was to always have some sort of acceptable chew toy in my presence when playing with her. When she would nip inappropriately I would give her the correct chew toy and when she would be going to town on that I would praise to high heaven. I like to enforce positives rather than negative to break a bad habit.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Exactly what Laura (labby) said. And be consistent with the puppy's training. It will make all the difference as he grows. We need pictures too! We all love puppy pictures...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts