Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i'm started to teach lola to stay. first i was having her stay and i would throw a toy and count 10secs then i would say go get it and she will take off running. another one i was doing was sit/stay count 10secs after that i would just click then treat. am i doing anything wrong? any suggestions will help

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Either way is fine.. the first is pretty advanced, and if you can get her to hold a stay when you throw a toy - WOW! click for you.

If you want to make the first clicker based, click before you say 'get it' as the reward.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks yea she can hold for a least 40 seconds before she can get it. but maybe i'll stop that and use the basic before we do the throwing one

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
hey, if she can handle it and you are getting at least 80% successful trials, why not challenge her? no need to keep her in kindergarten if she's ready for grade 4.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
today i did some basic just sit/stay. then we went on with tossing the dummy and her stay success every time. also i did something different i had her sit/stay and i ran around like crazy for ten seconds then i clicked and treat. i did it about 7 times and she got up like 2-3 times so we are getting there. takes time

·
Registered
720 Posts
My pup can do "watch me" for a long time but when it goes to stay he wants to walk away... how can he distinguish the difference between "watch me" and "stay"? Watch me I was taught to have him sit then hold the treat near my eye and say watch me. If he looks at me say yes then treat him.
Stay we were taught to have him sit and hold your palm facing him and say stay then try to walk away. He cant even stay let alone begin to walk away hahaa

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
it sounds like your doing it right. I tell my dogs wait and stay is for when they are going to stay while a dog will pass or im going into a store for 5 min. I tell Bentley to wait then say off go get ball and he goes gets and will bring it right back goes straigh to a down by himeself. So dont be suprised if she starts doing it to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts