Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newspapers?

David's mother bought us a Newspaper the day we got engaged. It has Obama plastered all over it cause we got engaged the same day he was Elected. Anyway, that's not my question. I want to store it somehow to keep it from deteriorating. Help?

I am almost 100% certain she will do the same on our wedding day... so this isn't just a one of thing. I've looked on the internet but really can't see anything helpful.

TIA!
Cheers Sarah

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Lay it flat, folded as the paper was intended, and then put it between two sheets of acid free paper. Store it in a dark, dry place such as a trunk or flat file case. If you want to get really fancy, you can lay the paper out completely flat with no folds and place a layer of acid free paper between each page of the paper. Then store the paper flat in a flat file drawer or some place large enough to lay it out flat where it is away from light and damp.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Do you want to save the whole thing or just a page or two? If just a page or two, you could probably get it laminated for pretty cheap, or buy those self-adhesive sheets that you basically just stick onto the paper. :D

If it's the whole thing.. yeah I dunno, maybe what the others have suggested..?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm thinking to save the whole thing....... i might look at acid free paper etc and go to ikea for storage box ideas. Ikea generally have those things at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
sarahnye said:
i'm thinking to save the whole thing....... i might look at acid free paper etc and go to ikea for storage box ideas. Ikea generally have those things at reasonable prices.
The IKEA boxes aren't archive grade cardboard. Check with a good quality picture framing company, as they often use archiving papers abnd boards for matting and such. Failing that, I'd recommend you go to your local museum and ask them if they can supply you with the materials you need.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
sarahnye said:
I use to work for the special collections division of my college library where we stored all kinds of newspapers and such as we were only 100 miles from the Grand Canyon we had tons of early settlers leave us stuff. You need an acid free newspaper storage box. If you are going to put paper around it it is important it be acid free also. They make boxes just for this purpose. It is important that anything that touches the newpaper be acid free and do not wrap it in cloth or plastic.
http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_2/section2_8.htm

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
azlab said:
sarahnye said:
I use to work for the special collections division of my college library where we stored all kinds of newspapers and such as we were only 100 miles from the Grand Canyon we had tons of early settlers leave us stuff. You need an acid free newspaper storage box. If you are going to put paper around it it is important it be acid free also. They make boxes just for this purpose. It is important that anything that touches the newpaper be acid free and do not wrap it in cloth or plastic.
http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_2/section2_8.htm
Thank you Karon!! I found a conservation resources website in Australia. The boxes are relatively cheap ($20) so I will order two of those. You guys are just full of knowledge hey!! :D One more question, the box descriptions are "tabloid" or "Broadsheet" .... can you tell me the difference and which one should I buy?

here is the link: http://www.conservationresources.com.au/html/home/products/product.php?pid=109

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Broad sheet is about 22 inches long

Tabloid is 17 x 11

From what I can find on line Broad Sheet is twice as big as Tabloid so if in doubt order broad sheet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts