Just Labradors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I stumbled across these forums while researching lab breeders and I thought it could be beneficial to run some questions by you guys.
I’ve recently lost a rescue (Shar Pei mix) before she turned four. She had poor health from the day I brought her home but she was my entire heart and the loss has been devastating.
I’ve always loved labs and want one as a family dog and companion (I’ve had personal experience with their mischievous, playful, and energetic side) but I’m unsure of what I should be looking for in a breeder and what questions I should ask.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I’m feeling slightly overwhelmed. I’m in New York, if anyone happens to know of any good breeders on the northeast.

I’ve been in contact with Excalibur Labradors which is located in MA. Has anyone had dealings with this breeder?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never owned Labs but, like you, I love them. Based off of my research on the breed, here are a few suggested questions to get you started:

Do you want an English Labrador or an American Labrador?

Can the breeder you're considering provide you with any references from people who have bought puppies from her previously?

What health and genetic testing does the breeder do on her breeding stock? (For example, are her breeding dogs OFA tested for hip and elbow dysplasia?)

Are the puppies you're observing raised indoors with the family and exposed to a variety of different environments, other animals, people, small children, and loud noises?

Best wishes in your search!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts