Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were outside playing fetch and Sky stumbled in a hole. She didn't cry or anything, but has been limping ever since. I brought her in and have massaged her leg and am planning on keeping her down as best as possible for the remainder of the weekend. Hopefully it will get better, but is there something I can give her to help with pain or inflammation?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Help - what to do with a limping dog

Not sure if there is anything you can give her, but keep her as quiet as possible over the weekend and if she is no better on Tuesday take her to your vets. Better to be safe than sorry. Keep us posted over the Easter weekend on her progress.

Michelle

·
Registered
8,812 Posts

I hope Sky will be ok. I think you can give buffered aspirin. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will post.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

I have given Simon doggie aspirin for an earache, and that seemed to help him.

I have also read a lot about arnica in WDJ as a pain reliever. I believe it comes in a gel form that you can rub on. Supposed to be an almost mircale cure for sprains, etc. It's an herb and can also be taken internally, I think.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sky is still limping and it seems worse after she has been laying down - she must be really stiff. I'm definately taking her to the vet on Monday, but really would like to give her something.

So, is it buffered or unbuffered aspirin and how much?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

Sharon,

From the Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Manual:

Buffered or enteric-coated aspirin is an over-the-counter analgesic that is safe for home veterinary care in the recommended dosage for dogs. (Aspirin has a very low margin of safety and should not be used for cats.) Buffered or enteric-coated aspirin is much safer than regular aspirin because it is less likely to cause stomach and duodenal ulcers.

Aspirin remains effective as a short-term analgesic for the control of pain associated with musculoskeletal injuries. It is no longer recommended for long-term control of osteoarthritis, because of its destructive effects on joint cartilage. There are better analgesics available that do not have this disadvantage.

Note that individual dogs metabolize aspirin at very different rates. This inconsistency can lead to an unexpected accumulation of dangerous breakdown products in the animal's body. As few as two regular-strength aspirin tablets can produce severe organ damage in some medium-sized (30 pound) dogs. Follow the exact dosage given in the table on page 512 to avoid this complication.
Then, from the table:

Aspirin (Buffered; eneteric-coated): 5 mg per pound orally every 12 hours
Hope that helps! I hope poor Sky is feeling better once she stretches out a bit.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

If you've got any Rimadyl on hand, I would give him a dose as needed for the next day or so.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks everyone. I don't have any aspirin and really wasn't sure what to buy - I'll be getting some this morning as she is still limping.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

How is she limping and which leg?

Honestly, I don't bother giving my dogs aspirin. They don't feel pain the same way we do, and if you have an active dog, and they are limping, they are less likely to get the crazies and hurt it more. If you mask the pain with aspirin, they will think they are better, and might not rest.

If the dog is still limping after a few days rest, I would seek the opinion of a vet. Maddy once stepped into a small hole at the park while jumping after a ball and broke a toe. Hudler twisted his leg wrong and ruptured his CCL.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Help - what to do with a limping dog - UPDATED at end

I never did get the aspirin - with Easter I just never made it to the store and I did not have anything on hand.

I just suffered the weekend looking at the sad, sad eyes every time I took them outside because I wouldn't throw the ball for her. She limped pretty much all day Saturday and evening and then she seemed to recover pretty well on Sunday. We took the dogs for a short walk before leaving for our Easter festivities and by the time we got home she was fine - no limping at all.

Again this morning no limping and so I took them both for a good long walk and she seemed fine. Guess I'll have to throw a few balls for her tonight. But I'm definately going to be filling up holes in the yard - I don't want to this again if I can help it.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Help - what to do with a limping dog - UPDATED at end

dakkerdog said:
I never did get the aspirin - with Easter I just never made it to the store and I did not have anything on hand.

I just suffered the weekend looking at the sad, sad eyes every time I took them outside because I wouldn't throw the ball for her. She limped pretty much all day Saturday and evening and then she seemed to recover pretty well on Sunday. We took the dogs for a short walk before leaving for our Easter festivities and by the time we got home she was fine - no limping at all.

Again this morning no limping and so I took them both for a good long walk and she seemed fine. Guess I'll have to throw a few balls for her tonight. But I'm definately going to be filling up holes in the yard - I don't want to this again if I can help it.
I'm sooooo glad that Sky is better!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Well good, I'm glad she's better!

That was a good point about masking the pain. Maybe not giving her one helped her to stay less active and let it heal up a bit. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts