Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was running after a snowball in the yard. The snow was hard this morning because it is cold and he started to yip and held up his front left foot. It was bleeding but does not seem to be now. I have a sock on his foot. Should I try to call the vet??? or wait until tomorrow. See attached picture of where the nail is cracked. It is very high up on the nail almost to where the nail comes out of the skin where I put a beige line on the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, OW! Poor Orson! I think it could probably wait until tomorrow, but obviously be careful about him re-snagging it on something and tearing it worse. Can you clean it (maybe rinse it with some hydrogen peroxide?) and bandage it and cone him till tomorrow?

Angus tore his nail(s) about four times last summer. :(

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a sock on the paw. I don't think he got anything in it because it is just snow outside. I think if I tried peroxide he would never ever let me near him again :) He is such a weenie. We had to chase him down just to look at it. He will be really bummed because he can't go out and play snowball. It is the highlight of his day.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Ohh poor boy. If it's not bleeding and you can get him to leave it alone, it will probably be okay until tomorrow. At the very least you will want to get him on some antibiotics so it doesn't get infected. Depending on how nasty it is, he might have to be sedated so they can cauterize it and all that junk. I hope it's a simple fix!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Sandie ... perfect application for EMT Gel to stop bleeding. I've had to use that more than once for that reason. The problem now is that the crack will not allow the nail to be stable and it can be broken again easily being that high up. The very sensitive quick tissue underneath is both painful and bleeds easily. He definitely nets vet attention so your efforts should be directed at preventing it from breaking again until the vet can treat it properly. Gauze then stretch bandage wrap until the morning. He'll probably try to take it off so you'll need to keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
No experience, but I'm sending dear Orson some good thoughts, poor kid!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts