Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked him up from the vet this morning and he is NOT a happy camper at all. Quite the opposite.

He was declawed in the front and neutered yesterday. When they brought him to me in his kennel/crate thing he was already bitching up a storm, trying to get out. They didn't put any stitches in, which I thought was strange.. I thought they used those dissolvable ones, but apparently not anymore.

On the way home in the car, he was sticking his paws through the holes, trying to pull open the door, which in turn made his paws bleed. :( There was blood all over the crate, me and Sylvester.

They told me to lock him in the bathroom with food and water for the next week because he'll be bleeding a lot and it would stain everything. I also put shredded newspaper in place of the normal litter in his litterbox.

There are little specks of blood all over the place, which is normal, but then he's been trying to get out of the bathroom by putting his paws under the door.. which can't be good. So I stuck a towel in there, so he at least cant do that.

Now he's just whining and whining and whining and won't shut up. I can't imagine how much pain he must be in. :( I keep going in there to hang out with him, but then I leave and it's screaming time all over again.

What do I do? :(

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Did they give you any pain medication? I know Gus had pain medication for a couple of days. We could have opted out but I thought, eeks I would want pain meds. Maybe call your vet? It gets better, honestly it does. I know declawing isn't popular anymore and your going to get soe comments. Gus is 9 years old now and doing just fine. She's a happy lazy fat house cat that is very content. Not to mention she has managed to kill her share of mice around here.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.. no pain meds. He quieted down.. maybe he's sleeping now..? I hope so.

Yeah, I was going to try to see how he would do but he's not interested in scratching poles of any kind and he's already wrecked some furniture so I decided to get rid of the just the front ones at the same time he was getting neutered.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If he doesn't settle I'd call your vet and see if he can have some pain meds! Poor kitten, I'm sure it is a short term thing I think I'd be tempted to take my duvet and sleep in the bathtub with him.

Hope he feels better soon x

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh no, poor guy :( I can't beleive they didn't give him any pain meds. When Sades (our cat) was really sick at the end, they told us we could give her baby aspirin, maybe you could do the same?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I hope he gets to feeling better soon. After reading the facts I would never declaw a cat again...but then again I am not planning on having another inside kitty.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The poor cat, I wouldn't be a happy camper if my fingertips were amputated either!

I just can't understand why people declaw cats.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
blacklabelias said:
The poor cat, I wouldn't be a happy camper if my fingertips were amputated either!

$2000 couch or the frigging cat will be living outside for the rest of its life.

I opted not to have it done with one of my cats, after he tore up one of my recliners I wish I had. Now I just clip them once a week.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Hunter said:
blacklabelias said:

$2000 couch or the frigging cat will be living outside for the rest of its life.

I opted not to have it done with one of my cats, after he tore up one of my recliners I wish I had. Now I just clip them once a week.
If you can't deal with your furniture being damaged by a scratching cat, then don't get a cat. Pretty simple to me ;)
If I couldn't deal with shedding I wouldn't have labs and I am not about to shave them to prevent the shedding.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
blacklabelias said:

Amen. A lot of vets will no longer do this operation.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
blacklabelias said:
Hunter said:
blacklabelias said:

If you can't deal with your furniture being damaged by a scratching cat, then don't get a cat. Pretty simple to me ;)
If I couldn't deal with shedding I wouldn't have labs and I am not about to shave them to prevent the shedding.
In my case the little ******* showed up at my door at 3 in the morning in the middle of January with below 0F temps, crying so loud it woke everybody in the house. Once I opened the door he never looked back, so being the kind ******* that I am, I let him stay.

Imminent death or getting kicked in the ass every once in a while for tearing up the rugs and furniture, take your pick. I think he got a pretty good trade.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Well if somebody cut off the ends of your toes, gave you no pain medication, and then locked you in a bathroom for a week, there's a pretty good chance you'd be screaming a bit too.

Barbarism aside, get some pain medication from the vet and put the cat in a cat carrier and let it sit next to you wherever you go in the house. It's alone and scared, that's not hard to fix.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Well if somebody cut off the ends of your toes, gave you no pain medication, and then locked you in a bathroom for a week, there's a pretty good chance you'd be screaming a bit too.
I agree. Declawing is barbaric and I can't believe it it still legal. Makes me sick. :no:

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
One of ours has scratched to death our 150 year old, £1000+ antique pine dresser. It is part and parcel with owning animals.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Trickster said:
I agree. Declawing is barbaric and I can't believe it it still legal. Makes me sick. :no:
Ditto. :(

I had one of my cats done when I was 18 and didn't know any better, had never had a cat and just went along with whatever the vet recommended. He was an old-timer, dealt mostly with large animals, apparently he didn't know much better than I did. *sigh*

I adopted another a few years later with claws intact, and I can see a clear difference in the way they walk, breaks my heart. :'(

1 - 20 of 75 Posts