Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched on here and DID find remedies for deskunking dogs, but they all say to use that 3% hydrogen peroxide. Is it going to change the color of Thor? He's black. Need advice NOW! Thank you =)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide isn't the same peroxide that bleaches hair.........

I use vinegar...... we have somebody get skunked atleast once a year around here and vinegar works great.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Only used tomatoe juice and thats been quite awhile ago. However, not long enough to forget the skunk smell mixed with the tomatoe juice! Wow! But ---- it worked

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Uh-oh. :(

A gallon of water cut with 1 cup of plain white vinegar has worked pretty well for me.

Take note, Thor will most likely smell like like a salad with vinegrette dressing for a while. :p :-X

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I used white vinegar on him...I think it's mostly on his head...I'd rather him smell like vinegar than skunk! :-X Hopefully this smell goes away soon. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Don't know if anyone else has tried this, but I have a friend who swears by Dawn dishwashing liquid for de-skunking. He said it really does break up the oily stuff and get rid of the smell. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I keep a bottle of Nature's Miracle (now called Petastic) Skunk Odor Remover around for just such emergencies. Whenever I use the bottle I go out and buy another to keep in the garage because you just know the day I don't have it will be skunk visitation day.. P.U.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
liveelayne said:
I searched on here and DID find remedies for deskunking dogs, but they all say to use that 3% hydrogen peroxide. Is it going to change the color of Thor? He's black. Need advice NOW! Thank you =)
Why? Don't want a yellow lab? ;)

2,990 Posts
Good luck with deskunking. We did the peroxide thing with Cooper but because the bulk of the sprayed area was near his eye, we were limited with what we could use. Believe it or not, we actually tried.....douche. I had read somewhere (maybe here) that douche works to remove the smell. I went to Wal-Mart and bought four boxes of Massengil....the clerk just gave me an odd look and started ringing it through...I wonder what was going through her mind!

Bev.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I keep a bottle of "Skunk-Off" in the car (to apply BEFORE Puff gets in the car in case she gets skunked on our early morning walks in the nature preserve). PLUS one gallon of water. AND a sponge. I had read very good recommendations for this product. We walk an hour each morning in a nature preserve that also has skunks, foxes, rabbits, deer, feral cats, etc.

I keep another bottle in reserve at home.

(Casey's Mom has used this more than once and also recommends it highly. C's M, Paola and I worked very closely together on a project for 6-9 months and I have absolute confidence in anything they say.)

WeHeartLabs (Susan) just posted the URL for this product.

Personally, I wouldn't fool around with tomato juice.

Be prepared!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts