Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cinnamon has always been I love the world and the world loves me at the dog park (and every where else). She always got along great with both the dogs and people. Lately though she has become snarly with a few other dogs at the dog park. She wants to niff but she doesn't want them niffing her. I guess last time she was there with my SIL she actually rolled a smaller dog on its back. Today dad took her, as the landscapers are here, and she she got snarly again with a mastiff. All she could reach was its leg.

I know not taking her to the dog park is the easy solution. But I want to be able to take her around other dogs. As it stands now I am not comfortable sending her to doggie daycare & that is where I board her. I was thinking of getting a muzzle and when she snarls put it on her. I think this would reinforce the bad girl and no.

Is this OK or is there a better solution. After she snarls a little she is fine with all the dogs.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I'm confused. Why would you not want to take her to daycare? Daycare is a much more controlled environment than a dog park. At daycare the dogs have all been vaccinated and have been temperament tested so aggressive dogs are not allowed. Dog park dogs? Who knows. Most have probably never seen a vet or been socialized. The other nice thing about daycare is often the same dogs are there so they know each other. Dog park? Usually different dogs, different sizes, different play styles, different social skills, etc. Any dog can be taken there without regard to it's temperament or other dogs temperaments so an in your face type of dog approaching a shy or fearful dog is likely to cause a fight.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I don't know what to tell you but I am totally against using a muzzle. She won't know why you're putting it on her.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
A growl is a dog's way of saying "I don't like this, please stop/go away now". So, you need to look at what exactly is happening when she growls. There's a brief sniff to say hello, and then there's what aggression expert Brenda Aloff calls 'the proctology sniff' - which is exceptionally rude. I would be prepared to gently step between Cinamon and the persistent sniffer BEFORE she gets annoyed, or simply encourage her to move away from the other dog on her own. Please avoid punishing her for communicating her discomfort .. take away the warning growl, and she may feel she has no other recourse than a silent snap/bite.

She's spayed, I assume?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts