Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On several occasions I have taken my dog Daisy to the local store. She rides on the back of my Toyota truck. She is safely tied from either side of the bed with some slack on her leash. Whenever I enter the store and she no longer has sight of me, she barks, barks, barks forever. On several occasions now I have had to come back and calm her down. She get's so wired that she then has to go poo. She is fine on the way there and back it's only my separation of her when she get's very nervous and high anxiety. Is she just not a truck dog? Do you have any suggestions? I don't put her in the cab since she sheds very much. Any suggestion are welcome. Thanks, Freddie

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Well first off, just to warn you, you are going to get some comments about tying your dog to the back of your truck bed...

But I don't think I'd like to be left tied up to the back a truck and then left by myself while my owner went into the store... I can't say whether or not it's separation anxiety, though.

Does she do it all the time or just when she's in the back of your truck?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Labs shed. You should have known that when you got her. She's beautiful, btw. I think I'll just wait till you go in the store and come along and untie her and put her in my jeep and bring her home with me. Yeah, that's what I think I'll do.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
First, it is not safe to have a dog loose in the back of a truck bed. If you insist on having her in the bed, please, get a crate and secure it down properly.

Second, it is not safe to leave a dog loose in the back of a truck while you are shopping. Anyone could take her. If you have to leave her, leave her inside of the truck with the doors locked. That should also solve the problem of her barking while you are gone.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree with the others that the back of the truck is NOT a safe place for your Lab -- it could be too easily stolen, some malicious person could toss poison food in, or torment it, etc. Why not get some vinyl seeat covers that are easily cleaned?

But inside most cars' passenger compartments still have problems, especially in summers. My Puff rides with me to the store and stays in the car (she insists it's not legal for me to drive anywhere without her) but my Honda has leather seats (thank heavens!) and a sunroof that I tilt open to serve as a chimney to vent hot air and to help create a draft for the air coming in the partially opened side windows. And while Puff doesn't shed as much as many other Labs, she certainly does shed enough that I got some tulle (fine mesh cloth) at a fabric store to fill places such as between each seat and the center console and block them from acting like silos for Lab hair.

That said, I like Dr. Patricia McConnell's educational material; they're very sound, mainstream, and easy to apply. Her booklets "I'll Be Home Soon" and "The Cautious Canine" would be very helpful to you and your Lab. They're available from her website:

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/category/dog-behavior-problem-solving-booklets

But PLEASE consider some other travel arrangement for your very beautiful friend.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
If your dog absolutely MUST travel in the back of your pick up, please get a solid crate and properly secure it. My dad once saved a dog that was "tied up" in the back of a pick-up - the dog had managed to jump out but was slowly choking to death as it hung in mid air (it had just enough rope to get it's back end off the truck and hang).

Preferably - I would leave the dog at home when running to the store (or leave her IN the truck and use blankets to collec the fur). It does not sound like Seperation Anxiety - just VERY normal behavior for a dog left along in the back of a truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.