Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not extremely concerned, ok I take that back I'm borderline extreme.

She's been throwing up (buuut it smells like poop so I think she may have eaten some and it upset her tummy). The part that concerns me is that she's pretty lethargic, and her gums are chilly (they are not tacky, and are still nice and pink, as is her tongue). She has been drinking and ate a treat, but not with her usual gusto. I gave her some Pepto (that was an adventure since we were out of tablets)

I called the E-Vet and they said as long as her gums aren't pale and she is drinking then she should be alright, just to keep an eye on her. They weren't extremely helpful. :rolleyes:

What say ye JL? Should I be extremely concerned or am I overreacting?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The poop smelling vomit would have me nervous that it is a bowel obstruction. Gums would not necessarily change color if that was the case. The first time Huckle had a bowel obstruction he had projectile fecal vomiting. Apparently typical for obstruction in the small bowel.

Is Molly still moving her bowels? I know that with small bowel obstructions this may not present right away. If she seems to be having belly pain I would be taking her right to the ER for evaluation.

Sending good thoughts.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Megan! Hi :D

I wasn't home when she started throwing up (nor has she thrown up for a few hours), but my mom said it was just usual Molly vomiting, and that she did poop however it was pretty soft.

She doesn't mind me pressing her on belly, and I can't feel anything (not sure if I would be able to). What was the cause of Huckle's obstruction? Is it from eating or is it more what it sounds like..."bowel"

Ha! No I didn't wear the pepto we have a syringe for situations just like this so I opened her mouth squirted it in and held her mouth shut for a second. Then she ran away from me ;)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I offered her some when I got home from work (around 8:30'ish) she ate it, but she wasn't too enthused. I also gave her a piece of treat and she ate that fine. She's been drinking and she had some Pepto.

Right now she's laying on my aero bed staring at me like "ummm hey it's bed time, are you coming?!" She did play with Penny for a little bit, but was quick to follow me downstairs to get stuff ready for bed.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Stacey,
I am embarrassed to say that I can't remember for the life of me what his first obstruction was from. He was only a pup at the time. I imagine it was the same as the rest of his obstructions...cotton socks. His only presenting symptom was fecal vomiting. It was definately NOT right and I took him to the vet right away. he had not eaten poop. I remember that the vet said small bowel obstructions can make a dog sick much quicker than a large bowel obstructions(which is what all Huckle's subsequent surgeries were for).

If you think she ate poop then no worries but if you don't then I would keep a VERY watchful eye on her.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm definitely keeping an eye on her.

We battle poop eating daily around here which is why I wasn't freaked out at first. It's the cold gums that are freaking me out. She sleeps with me at night so I'll be up if anything else happens (or I won't be able to fall asleep tonight), and if she's still icky tomorrow I'll probably take her in to the vet.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yay!!!
She seems to be back to her "almost" normal self. She was pissed that I fed her rice and a half handful of smashed up dog food this morning, but she ate it and it has stayed down! :D Her gums aren't cool to the touch anymore and her ears are warm again :D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Sounds to me like she ate too much poop and it upset her stomach. I'm glad she's feeling a bit better this morning.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Glad she's better, Stace!
Her gums aren't cool to the touch anymore and her ears are warm again
That's something I've never heard of. If the gums are cool and her ears are cool, that indicated a problem? I always thought the hot/dry nose indicated something. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds to me like she ate too much poop and it upset her stomach. I'm glad she's feeling a bit better this morning.
I'm guessing that's what happened too *sigh* usually she just nibbles and then I catch her and she gets yelled at, but my brother was home most of the day yesterday with the dogs so he probably just let the big girls out and didn't pay attention since I hadn't done poop clean up yet :rolleyes:

She only goes after the fresh stuff, and only Abby's. So far *knock on wood* she hasn't gone after Penny's.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amy, I wasn't sure if the gums/ears were an issue. All of my girls' ears and gums are usually warm'ish. Molly's were ice cold last night (as were her paws) she even slept under the covers with me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts