Just Labradors banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 10 month old chocolate lab. He is a holy terror. He has destroyed my house, my yard (every one of the shrubs I planted last year is completely gone), and pretty much runs my life. I hired a trainer to come to my home and it didn't seem to do much at all. He does not listen whatsoever, won't come when called, and has just recently stopped peeing in the house. I work from home so I spend a lot of time with him. The only time he is good is when he is tired. It is ridiculous that I have to keep him exhausted all the time.

He will get on our counters and eat whatever is there.....he has eaten cell phone covers (actually digested an iphone rubber cover!), dvd's, mail, dish towels and obviously any food on the counter. When we catch him doing it, he runs away and by the time I catch him, the moment is gone to scold him for getting on the counter.

We have removed anything and everything from the floor of every room in the house becaue if anything is there (shoes, clothes, trinkets) he will chew it to bits. The only thing I haven't removed is bath mats in the bathrooms, and he will take those and run around the house with them too.

I am at my wits end, and don't think I can keep him. I am 3 months pregnant and there is no way I can deal with him and care for a baby. I can't have him around a baby if he won't even listen to a command I give him.

I can't stand the dog, and don't understand why everyone thinks labs are such wonderful dogs. He has done nothing but make my life miserable. I have a 5 year old malamute as well and she is a great dog, so I don't know what I am doing wrong with this one. I hate to keep him locked in a kennel all the time, but I don't know what else to do.

My last resort is to get him fixed. If that doesn't work, I will probably have to get rid of him and I will never ever ever get another lab EVER!

Any advice on how to handle my situation would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t think you should keep the dog. If you already hired a trainer and he still won’t even come when you call his name then the dog doesn’t stand a chance. Even though people are saying “don’t blame the dog” I think you kind of should. I work with dogs, and labs are the most difficult to work with. They don’t listen and are extremely uncooperative.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts