Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 month old chocolate lab. He is a holy terror. He has destroyed my house, my yard (every one of the shrubs I planted last year is completely gone), and pretty much runs my life. I hired a trainer to come to my home and it didn't seem to do much at all. He does not listen whatsoever, won't come when called, and has just recently stopped peeing in the house. I work from home so I spend a lot of time with him. The only time he is good is when he is tired. It is ridiculous that I have to keep him exhausted all the time.

He will get on our counters and eat whatever is there.....he has eaten cell phone covers (actually digested an iphone rubber cover!), dvd's, mail, dish towels and obviously any food on the counter. When we catch him doing it, he runs away and by the time I catch him, the moment is gone to scold him for getting on the counter.

We have removed anything and everything from the floor of every room in the house becaue if anything is there (shoes, clothes, trinkets) he will chew it to bits. The only thing I haven't removed is bath mats in the bathrooms, and he will take those and run around the house with them too.

I am at my wits end, and don't think I can keep him. I am 3 months pregnant and there is no way I can deal with him and care for a baby. I can't have him around a baby if he won't even listen to a command I give him.

I can't stand the dog, and don't understand why everyone thinks labs are such wonderful dogs. He has done nothing but make my life miserable. I have a 5 year old malamute as well and she is a great dog, so I don't know what I am doing wrong with this one. I hate to keep him locked in a kennel all the time, but I don't know what else to do.

My last resort is to get him fixed. If that doesn't work, I will probably have to get rid of him and I will never ever ever get another lab EVER!

Any advice on how to handle my situation would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Why did you get a labrador puppy? Did you do any research into the breed before getting him? Did you get him through a reputable breeder? If so, it sounds like he should be returned to the breeder. He needs a home with training, LOVE, and more training. What kind of exercise does he get? The destruction is done out of boredom, pure and simple.

I will probably have to get rid of him
Nice. That's not going to go over well here.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I think it's wise that you contact a rescue and give up your dog. They realize when you don't like them and I think you're at the point where you will never like this dog, even if he does a complete turn around. Turn him over to someone who can get him the boot camp training he needs and then place him in a home that can give him the attention he needs. No way you should be doing all this when you are pregnant.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
They realize when you don't like them and I think you're at the point where you will never like this dog, even if he does a complete turn around.
That is so true. :(

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Wow. Really?
Unfortunately, I think you may get some reactions and responses that you are not going to like.
Lab pups-training, exercise, patience, consistency, love, more training, more exercise=the best dog ever.
If you don't have the time or the patience for this dog then please give him to someone who does.
And don't get another lab-EVER. They're obviously not the breed for you.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Where are you located? we will happily help your rehome him. Better yet, call the breeder and take him back.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
It is ridiculous that I have to keep him exhausted all the time.
Um... what? Labs have very high exercise requirements, it is certainly NOT "ridiculous" that in choosing to adopt a lab that you should have to provide for those. That energy needs to come out somehow, and if you don't provide an outlet he will find one, and you probably won't like it (usually = destruction).

A mal has much lower exercise requirements, you can't compare the two.

Labs are great dogs for those who do their research beforehand and are prepared for all that lab ownership entails. Clearly you didn't do your research, or none of what you're describing would be surprising to you.

I agree, find this poor boy a home where he can be loved and appreciated. And don't you dare slam this breed just because YOU didn't do your research.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Y'know what?

As much as I'm a proponent of work-it-out, this-is-fixable, hang-in-there, better-times-are-coming, engage-NILF-ASAP, your-dog-is-better-off-with-you...

I think I'm with Labby on this one.

Three months pregnant. And with an out-of-control Lab pup. So training is going to be tough. VERY tough. And once you're postpartum, things are going to get even dicier -- your patience w/this dog will be even shorter at a time when he'll continue to need a boatload of it. And your time. Which will also be at a premium.

And I am sincerely doubtful that neutering will address even one of your problems.

Labs are wonderful dogs. But they certainly don't come falling out of the chute that way. Having a well-adjusted, well-behaved, socialized dog that can be a trusted, loved, and honored member of your family for years on end takes a bucket of sweat, a boatload of work, a warehouse of patience, a dash of good luck and genes, and more than a little good humor.

And it sounds like your reserves on all of the above are rather thin. Understandably. And they're not apt to get replenished any time soon.

As much as it pains me.... I vote surrender, too.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
My Gracie was very destructive at this age...she would counter surf, jump, nip, eat mail, chew shoe boxes in my closet, she had so much energy that she did not know what to do with it. We played alot of fetch, walked a lot and did some dog training. Training is not a quick fix, it is consistently applying what you have been taught to teach your dog...every hour of every day. Gracie is 14 months old and has greatly calmed down...I can even trust her is the house for a few hours alone now uncrated. I can tell you it will get better with a lot of love and patience, but I can honestly say...I NEVER hated my dog. If you truly feel this way, call your breeder to take him back or take up someone on their offer here to help rehome him. There are also some great Lab rescue groups to look into. He deserves a good life and a loving home...please give him that chance.

p.s He should be neutered anyway, why is he still intact?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I agree with everyone else, re-homing him at this point would be for the best. Labs are highly energetic, spirited dogs. They don't like to be alone, and need to feel like they are part of the family. They need lots physical and mental exercise (especially in the first 2 years). If they don't get enough exercise (both physical and mental), they get bored and find trouble. A properly exercised, properly trained lab is the best dog you can have (it hasn't been the most popular AKC breed for 18 years for nothing). For the first 16 months of so of Bauer's life I took him for 2 long (30 - 45 minutes) and 2 short (20 - 30 minutes) walks per day, as well as, fetching in the yard. It is like having a little kid, they are more work when they are young. He is now 2, and we still do 2 long runs or walks per day; but I love it!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I think it's wise that you contact a rescue and give up your dog. They realize when you don't like them and I think you're at the point where you will never like this dog, even if he does a complete turn around. Turn him over to someone who can get him the boot camp training he needs and then place him in a home that can give him the attention he needs. No way you should be doing all this when you are pregnant.
Totally agree. But please search for an adequate Lab rescue organization and place him through them, don´t just go and dump him at a pound. You are pregnant and obviously don´t have the patience nor the will to try to handle the dog, and this is only going to get worse once your baby is born.

Young dogs around a year old are difficult because they are in their "teens" (all breeds not just labs). They are a very active breed that need a lot of exercise and attention and are not dogs to be left outside.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
TO OP: yes, rehoming the dog is the best option and good luck, there are plenty of rescue groups that will take him and find him a better fit.

To Myself: slaps forehead...I don't see a problem, he is a typical labradork puppy...funny goofy and full of energy....definitely needs chew toys and training, but seriously, neutering is the last resort before getting rid of dog??!!! Neutering does not replace good old obedience training.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I vote with the others on this one. You obviously don't even like the dog so it doesn't stand a chance. Add pregnancy and you have a bad situation for both of you. Find a rescue if the breeder won't take him back. OR let us know and we will find that boy a home. He deserves more than you are able to provide at this time in your (& his)life. Rehoming sounds like the best option at this point.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts