Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help my MIL keeps on saying that my lab Saska is too fat could I have advice on this I think she is ok and I am trying to keep her at this weight, any advice would be appreciated she is 20 months old.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
It's hard to tell from pictures can you feel her ribs but not see them. Normally that's the guideline. Bench line labs are generally more stocky than a field bred lab so a lot of people don't know the difference. Everyone tells me Mocha's small but she's actually just right.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes you can feel her ribs when you run your hand accross her side, and she does have a waist, is mocha a bench lab or field lab, I think Saska must be a bench lab but as I have never had one before I did not know the difference. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
She looks bench-ish to me. :) She can probably carry a little extra weight, better than mine could anyway. I probably wouldn't let her get above where she is now, but she looks alright to me!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am never sure who's weight i worry about most...Poppy or the kids!!! Poppys food is measured out to the gram, yet the kids get whatever they want!!!!

Michelle

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
milomc72 said:
I am never sure who's weight i worry about most...Poppy or the kids!!! Poppys food is measured out to the gram, yet the kids get whatever they want!!!!

Michelle
I know what you mean, they also become like one of the family my MIL reckons I am stupid to think so much about Saska

F

·
0 Posts
Two type of Labrador's in one picture! ;D

On the left a black male Labrador called: "Dunk" he weights +/- 36 kilo's, and on the left a blonde female Labrador called: "Laika" who weights +/- 26,5 kilo's ;)

But i must say, that Laika does do more exercise on a single day, then Dunk ;)

Maybe the next link can tell you more about a English or an American Labrador:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/english-american.html

I personaly prefer the American Labrador! 8)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
If you want my completely honest opinion, I'd say she is a little chunky. I don't see much evidence of a waist or much definition of the ribs. She kinda reminds me of my Joker when he came to me -- I had to get a fair amount of weight off him. From the pictures you have posted I think she is more English fieldy than bench.

How much are you feeding and of what?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Mmmmm, maybe a few pounds over. My Seamus is carrying a couple of extras. More regular vigorous exercise usually takes care of that.

D

·
0 Posts
Lynnafcb said:
I need help my MIL keeps on saying that my lab Saska is too fat could I have advice on this I think she is ok and I am trying to keep her at this weight, any advice would be appreciated she is 20 months old.

Honestly, looks a little chunky to me. Not too bad, but on the verge of fat. I like a very lean dog myself and try to keep mine on the light side to keep the weight off the hips. I have a friend who has a Lab - wonderful Dudley boy - who is FAT, FAT, FAT!!! She never really listened to me about his weight. Her ex-husband fed him pizza and pancakes all the time - he always got his own kibble plus lots of what the family would eat.

And he got to 130 lbs. :eek: He has lost some weight but is still a very big boy. He is 6 months younger than my Dutch Shepherd and looks like he is 5 years older. Takes Rimadyl for his hip pain and has a really hard time moving around. He is not quite 9.

So, work at keeping your girl slim. She will be so much better off for it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It's hard to tell in that picture, if you stand right over the top of her she should have a definite waist. I would say she is a little overweight but not obese.
Olie

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I didn't think my Rowan needed to loose a whole lot ..... but was just told by the vet when she got spayed today she needs to loose 10 pounds. I was shocked but with summer coming on ~ I will get it off her.

A lesson learned for a new lab owner - when it comes to feeding, winter and exercise. ::)

·
Registered
162 Posts
She does look a little heavy (sorry, I have to agree with your MIL! ;) ) When my girl was 4 she was overweight and people all thought she was much older....now she has lost about 20 lbs, is 7 years old and people think she is 2. It is amazing how extra pounds can age your dog. I knew she was a little heavy, but she does come from Bench stock, so I didn't worry too much about it. Besides, whenever I asked my vet she always said she looked fine, could lose a couple pounds but did not seem to worried about it. (Needless to say, I am no longer with that vet)

It won't hurt her to lose a few pounds, but carrying a few extra pounds can do damage to her joints and her overall health. With some regular exercise and maybe cutting back on food and/or treats a bit and you should see a difference. :)

Extra weight or not, she is a pretty girl! Love those black labbies!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
It is hard to tell. But as others have said, if you can feel but not see the ribs, a definite waist and kind of a "V" taper towards the waist I would say she is ok. I know pictures sometimes make them look a little chunky when they are not.

Based on the pic I'd say she needs to lose a few pounds. I know I check every week or two and see if I can feel Tal's ribs, see a waist and the "V" taper. As long as that's the case I'm gonna continue what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It would help if you could take a pic straight down of her waist preferably with her on cement so we can see some good contrast. And another from the side of her waist but taken at the height of the middle of the dog with a white back ground. And she should be "stacked" in the pictures.
but even in these pictures she does look a little overweight. keeping a dog skinny slightly underweight will increase their life span and help delay things like Osteo Arthritis and joint problems..

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trickster said:
If you want my completely honest opinion, I'd say she is a little chunky. I don't see much evidence of a waist or much definition of the ribs. She kinda reminds me of my Joker when he came to me -- I had to get a fair amount of weight off him. From the pictures you have posted I think she is more English fieldy than bench.

How much are you feeding and of what?
I was begining to think that she could do with loosing a few pounds but you know what it is like you do not want the MIL to tell you things, she is on 1 can of Chappie in the morining with mixer buscuits and one can in the after noon with the same buscuits. plus some treats for training etc. Do you think this is too much, I am a beginner at this so not sure any advice would be appreciated. I also have stopped my husband giving her titbits. :) She does have a good off lead run the morning and a walk in.the afternoon,

Kzunell said:
It would help if you could take a pic straight down of her waist preferably with her on cement so we can see some good contrast. And another from the side of her waist but taken at the height of the middle of the dog with a white back ground. And she should be "stacked" in the pictures.
but even in these pictures she does look a little overweight. keeping a dog skinny slightly underweight will increase their life span and help delay things like Osteo Arthritis and joint problems..

Kelly and Amber
I will try and take a different picture and post I am putting her on a diet from today I do not want a fat lab for her sake more than mine :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
she is on 1 can of Chappie in the morining with mixer buscuits
What is that? Never heard of Chappie. What's a mixer biscuit?

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
You might want to up the exercise a little. How old is she? I would try and build in a good game of fetch in there, if you have access to a clean body of water at a lake a swim occasionally. I know my Tal and several others on here love playing fetch.

They really don't get alot of exercise with walking. Sometimes I eve use the walk as a way of cooling Tal down after playing fetch.

Any oncrease in exercise tho you want to build up to it. For example, if you start playing fetch with her, play maybe 5 minutes and throw the ball short distances. Then work up from there. When exercising her during hot weather, early morning is best. With a dark coat they will hold heat more readily than lighter coats. When I play fetch with Tal during hot weather, I limit the time to no more than 10 minutes.

Good luck and keep asking! And I think her coat is beautiful. She looks like a really sweet girl.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts