Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the battle begins again. Im going to try to sum it up quick.

Caesar has eaten the following foods with the following results.

Proplan: great poop, great coat...awful awful ears!Canidae: awful poop, awful coat, AWFUL ears
Nutro Natural Choice: great poop, good coat, AWful ears
Natural; Balnce duck and Potato: AWFUL EARS

I must have spent a thousand bucks in ear infection meds

Then i thought someone had smiled upon me and sent me Eukanuba..........great ears!!!! No infection for 4 months HOORAY I THOUGHT!!!! Suddenly caesar is butt scooting everywhere!!! He has had his anals emptied twice since Christmas!!!!! He is also getting fish oil capsules everyday and his poop is like water HELP HELP HELP is it the food? he wont eat the canned pumpkin either ANY SUGGESTIONS?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Have you tried Nutro's Ultra - that is what Rowan is on... the LBP formula and she is doing great.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Which ProPlan? Have you tried a fish based diet? Once you get the ears cleared up (at least 14 straight days of meds 2X/day) I have found my 2 girls that have are problems have been greatly helped by adding probiotics to their food. So far, so good! My guys have they seasonally; thank goodness it is not an ongoing problem....been their, done that with a golden and a cocker spaniel. It's tough, I know.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
We don't have anal gland issues ever, but allergies and ears are our thing. Innova EVO is working great for us...don't know how it'd work for you...good luck!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
EVO here too...but only for pups over the age of 2.

C

·
0 Posts
I live in England but I use Pedigree. Our breeder recomended it. My dog is fine with it.
Hope this has been some help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having so much distress. We also had a terrible time with Murphy's stool and ears and tried about 5 different foods. We put him on Canidae and now his coat is shiny, ears are clean and good solid poop. Shows that every food is different for every dog. I've also heard some good things about EVO. Good luck with your search - the suggestion about the type of biscuits is a good one. Sometimes we don't think about what is in the treats!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use Blue Seal Natural 26 for the boys - they love it. Kody does have some ear issues, but he puts his head under water alot and also Goliath tends to lick his ears constantly as well.

·
Registered
378 Posts
How about a lamb based food like Solid Gold ..it doesn't have as much fat but you are giving fish oil so that will take care of his coat.Lily is on Solid Gold as is doing great..Wellness was too much for her and not only was she putting on weight but she was gettin plaque on her eyes from it..so with the food switch her weight is great and the plaque on her eyes dissolved itself and is gone. Also with the pumpkin put a tsp. on the top (to start) and hollow out the middle kind of like what so many of us do with mashed potatoes and gravy and put some yougurt in that hollow. plain or vanilla will do nicely or you could just add mashed banana to the plain... Plain would be better as no sugar but heck to get it going if vanilla is his thing so be it. You could mess around with the pumpkin/yougurt on a little plate at lunchtime to see if it flies rather than messing up the dinner time. I think if you start out small he will develop a taste for it. Pumpkin adds so much fiber to his GI track it is perfect for the anal issue. Someone else mentioned biscuits....my friends lab Annie was having a terrible time with her ears...put her on solid gold and all was well and then trouble again...finally figured out it was not only from the bones (they had wheat in them...but her son was feeding Annie some crust from his wheat bread......) Soooo be careful of other sources. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I would try adding extra fiber to his diet before you mess around with foods. If he won't eat the pumpkin, other fruits and veggies can be a good source of fiber. Apples, bananas, broccoli, green beans and carrots come to mind. I would suggest wheat or bran but many dogs can't tolerate them and wheat in particular is a common allergen.

If his poop is like water (diarrhea) you need to get him off the kibble and onto a bland diet. Chicken and rice should do the trick. Keep him on a bland diet for a day or two until it clears up.

live in England but I use Pedigree. Our breeder recomended it. My dog is fine with it.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but Pedigree is a terrible food. If you are in England, there are much healthier choices. James Wellbeloved is great. Autarky is good. Even Burns is a million light years better than Pedigree.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have dealt with all of the problems you mentioned. We have finally ended up with Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice and Hobart's coat, ears, and stool are finally all very normal. Don't know if you have this food in your area, but we swear by it. Also, we are very picky about our dog bisquits- only homemade or natural/organic.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What are the signs of ear infection?we try to clean rockys ear at least twice a week.he is doin good with the nutro lg breed pup food.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
badboy2 said:
When I clean it I get a brownish wax.
Nah, you'll know the difference. It almost looks like an explosion of red brown liquid wax and it STINKS. A small amount of brown is just normal dirt.

Before you start switching foods, I would look at the foods you have given and see if there is a common ingredient that might be causing the problems.

Corn, wheat, soy can cause problems. If the dog has grain issues, flax can be a problem. Some dogs can only do a single protein, so you'll have to watch where the fat comes from (sometimes an animal source different from the main protein). You may have to go to something TOTALLY different, fish based and potato for the carb with very limited ingredients....and make sure that the treats don't have any of the offending ingredients in them too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It sounds like he's not expressing his glands. My dog was fine until he hit 2 yrs. old and he started scooting and having his anal glands expressed. I began giving him fiber and it's helped dramatically. I still have to get them done but it's several months before so. I give him a chewable Fiber-Choice fiber tablet at each meal (2 times).

D

·
0 Posts
A dog we have that isn't a lab that had bleeding ulcers in the upper and lower digestive tract before he was a year old, and still has a sensitive stomach. I cooked either hamburger (wash and drain any grease) or ground venison. I cook up a soup pan of rice and mix in the meat. You could use chicken or turkey, if you prefer, just skin it and drain the fat. A five pound bag of rice and two pounds of meat makes a great deal of allergy safe food very economically.

I use this food whenever the dog's stomach is acting up. We used the same recipe for a bird dog that had Addison's disease (first symptoms were the skin and ear allergies). To keep the food, you could plop single servings into zipper bags and freeze them. Chewing on frozen food helps keep the dog's teeth cleaner than just eating soft foods. Be sure to get all the plastic off the food before giving the frozen chunks to your pet.

Check with your vet first just to be sure. We found this similar to some of the prescription canned food ingredients, and the results with our dog's system were very similar. What do some of you others think of this recipe?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts