Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went hiking yesterday and today and brought Molly with. I noticed that she was walking funny. Turns out that two of her paws are torn up (the pads on her paws) They arent bloody at all. But there is a big flap of skin on both of them. Will it hurt if I cut it off? What should I do?

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I think if it were me I would make sure they are really clean, put a bit of Neosporin on them to avoid infection, and put a bandage on there to hold the Neosporin in place. It should heal up pretty good I would think.

If you start to notice any redness, or other change at the site, I would contact my vet. That might be a sign of infection and might be good idea for antibiotics.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I wouldn't cut the excess skin off, Laurie. I should think that would be painful. :( Do you have access to EMT Gel? http://www.cabelas.com/p-0016526691685a.shtml

One summer Riley cut both of his front pads on 2 separate occasions. EMT gel was very helpful and I keep it on-hand now.

If not, I would clean the pads out as much as you can. Dirt/gravel/etc can cause an irritation and will probably work to slow her healing time.

Try to keep her off gravel and/or hot top--keep her on grass and soft surfaces.

Poor Molly. Poor you!! :( Not your fault...it happens a lot!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
clean them, put either neosporin or acquafor on them; put a baby or kid sock on her and wrap it so she can't get it off. my guys tend to do this about 1x per year...holding breath it hasn't happened yet this year, but they also have yet to escape and tear up the hot road.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
We're just dealing with some sort of lesion on CoCo's pad too. It had gotten infected and was full of puss. We took her to the vet, who said to soak it in sterile salt water as often as possible, keep her from licking it (we even got a muzzle), and keep it clean and dry. The puss drained out the first day, but it didn't get better after a few days, so we got her antibiotics (3x per day for 3 weeks!), and we are keeping up with twice daily salt baths. The vet didn't want us putting anything else on it, as its important for it to dry out. Hopefully it works. I feel so bad she can't go swimming!!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Teddy has had this happen also. I just sprayed the affected paws with Bactine to kill the germs twice a day and they healed up pretty fast. He did not like a sock or anything on it and tried to keep off those paws on his own.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
This has happened to Teddy twice. The first time he had to miss his obedience class graduation.:( I just put neosporin on twice a day until they healed.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its gotten A LOT worse. Molly can hardly walk. On two of her paws most of the pad is missing. Its too tender for her too walk on and now its seeping. Ive wrapped them in bandages and socks. She'll go to the vet tomorrow. (Please tell me that pads grow back!)
:(

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Pads grow back. EMT gel is wonderful. It helps numb the pain and cover the raw flesh.

Molly will heal up in no time. Hang in there.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Just to let you know... the antibiotics are working very well for CoCo, but she was obviously infected (with puss).

Ask the vet about the salt-water soak and keeping them as dry as possible, as that is what our vet suggested for CoCo and its working (with the antibiotics).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts