Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ginger was bitten by fire ants on her belly this afternoon....they are very red!! she's is on cephalexin (keflex) 750mg twice a day for a staph infection. do i just give her the antibiotics and not worry about the bites??? or do i give her some benadryl and her antibiotics?? she weighs 58 pounds....so how much benadryl if any?

last night

this morning

they are not as red and i've only given 1 benadryl (last night). she does lick at them every once in a while but not constant.

will they go away by themselves or do they need to be popped?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Re: HELP!! Ginger was bitten by fire ants!!

You can get Benadryl cream if you don't want her to ingest it. If you haven't any on hand, try making a mash of baking soda with water. A paste consistency... rub it on her tummy. That will soothe the bites. Watch her respiration... fire ants can cause problems in some systems.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

is hydrocortisone cream the same as benadryl cream??

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

I am sure the oral benadryl will be OK with the antibiotics if that is what you want to do. Is she itchy and swollen?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

The ratio is 1 mg of Benadryl per pound of the dog's weight.

Do you have any Boudreaux Butt Paste? They sell it in Walgreens. That would take any sting or itch out and prevent her from scratching. Poor thing. That can be really serious, I'm glad she is ok.
Also, Aloe Vera Gel might work.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

lablover said:
I am sure the oral benadryl will be OK with the antibiotics if that is what you want to do. Is she itchy and swollen?
they dont seem to bother her too much. they are warm...i just gave her 1 pill.

she just started her new pass time eating at the ant piles...i checked in between her feet but didnt think to check her belly. i feel so bad. and knowing those **** ants it was probably just a couple and they bite her that many times.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Re: HELP!! Ginger was bitten by fire ants!! (Picture inside)

my goodness! poor girl!
i have no additional advise.
sending good healing thoughts for a quick recovery.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

Poor Ginger! My vet has put Prudence on cephalexin and benadryl at the same time. Just make sure it's the plain benadryl in the white and pink box. I've caught Brigetta trying to squat on fire ant hills before.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

OMG! Is this in your yard? Is there any way to destroy them? I'd be out there with some explosives! :eek:

I'm sure glad she's alright. I have heard some bad stories about fire ants. :( What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

Ouch!!! Hope she get to feeling better real soon. Let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

Poor baby! I hope the benadryl helps.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts

I think I have something saved in my email at work about ants. I believe it is Equal you sprinkle on the ant hill or where they will pick it up and carry it back. It is toxic and within days they are all gone. I remember some ants won't take it without it being damp but not so wet as to dissolve it. I will look in the morning and post if I still have it which I am sure I do as I thought this would be helpful if we ever get ants.

Hope Ginger feels better. Be careful with the coritizone cream if the skin is broke open because coritizone can cause a burning sensation on an open wound it is great on hives etc that are not broke open.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

Poor thing. I know how much I swell up from just one. Hope the meds help her.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Ouch, ouch, ouch... that looks like it really hurts. I hope Ginger heals soon.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

ouchies!!!!!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

the ant piles are all over!! they say because of the hurricane last year they buried themselves in the ground....and are now just coming out. but we've never had this many in our yard....its ridiculous along with the west nile carrying mosquitoes.

we put the baking soda paste and let it sit on her for over an hour and then wiped it off. she's not really licking or biting at them...which is good.

we live in south louisiana.

thanks everybody for the well wishes!

also does she have an innie?? the vet has never mentioned it to us and wanted her to be spayed at 6 months but we are waiting for her first heat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts