Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Savannah is 7. She has been invited over to a sleepover bday party. Savannah REALLY wants to go, but she has a secret that her other friends don't know about. This secret keeps her from having friends stay the night here and from her staying the night at friend's homes. She is very guarded and embarrassed about it. She has NEVER been to a sleepover party because of it. Savannah is a bed wetter. She has to wear a pull up. She has tried various methods of stopping it (including medical). Although she has had some success, she does not have full success yet.

My question is, should I call the mom and discuss this with her, urging the importance of secrecy and ask her to assist Savannah in getting the wet morning pull-up to a trash container discreetly. Do you think the mom would totally gross out on this?

HELP HERE!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Shanna, that would work. You could at least talk to the other mom and see if she'd be willing to assist Sav. Then make your opinion based on what she says.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
No way should she be. And what kind of mother would she be if she was grossed out? She has a daughter of her own. I think you could call her and tell her whats going on. I dont think that she would tell her daughter. Well she shouldnt anyway. I would let them know how Savannah is and her history with sleep overs. I would think that it could go off without a hitch. Hope it all works out for ya.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Yes, talk to the other mother. Hopefully she will be understanding.

My neice had this problem for a long time, till she was at least 12 or so. She would still go to sleep overs and make sure she had a change of clothes. She would basically just roll up her sleeping bag in the morning like nothin was wrong and have it cleaned when she got home.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I would definitely enlist the help of the other Mom. She has the power to make sure the sleepover goes off without any embarrassing consequences.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My stepson had the same problem until he was about 13. He seldom did sleepovers because of it. But on the few instances he did, I spoke with the other mom and it was never an issue. Sometimes Greg would actually just roll the pull-up up in this pjs, put them in the sleeping bag and roll that up. I'd just take care of everything for him when he got home.

As far as I know, nobody ever found out his "secret"!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Don't know what to do if it was my kid, but we had a neighbor friend of my daughter's 8 yrs sleep over and she wore pull ups. The mom never talked to me and the girl was very discreet about it BUT....my daughter was so excited about the pull ups that she wanted to wear them! It was cute but I'm sure a little ackward for the girl because my daughter just talked all night how her friend had to wear pull ups. I down played it and acted like it was cool and the girl has slept over two other times since.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
snicksmom said:
My stepson had the same problem until he was about 13. He seldom did sleepovers because of it. But on the few instances he did, I spoke with the other mom and it was never an issue. Sometimes Greg would actually just roll the pull-up up in this pjs, put them in the sleeping bag and roll that up. I'd just take care of everything for him when he got home.

That's exactly how we handled it. I was so thankful when they started making pull ups because sleepovers weren't an option before that.

Btw, make sure to talk to your doctor about this. If Savannah still has the problem in a few years, there's a pill that they can prescribe to help. It made all the difference with my daughter.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
I would definitely enlist the help of the other Mom. She has the power to make sure the sleepover goes off without any embarrassing consequences.
I agree. Hope everything works out well ;D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That's got to be hard on her. I agree with the rest. I bet the mom would understand and would help her in the morning. What kind of mom wouldn't. Call her, Shannee.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MiaBuddy said:
snicksmom said:

That's exactly how we handled it. I was so thankful when they started making pull ups because sleepovers weren't an option before that.

Btw, make sure to talk to your doctor about this. If Savannah still has the problem in a few years, there's a pill that they can prescribe to help. It made all the difference with my daughter.
HMMM..... a pill.

I am still on the fence about calling. Something keeps telling me that if I call, she will tell her daughter.... in an effort to be good, but backfiring.

I may just have her do the "go to the bathroom with your bag" trick. I can put a plastic bag in there for her to dispose of her used pull up.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Shanna - my oldest son (9) still wears a "Good-nites" to bed. There are some Moms I tell and some I don't - usually depends on if there is no one in the room when I'm on the phone.....I hate to say it in front of him. I've found that he's not alone....there are plenty of kids out there experiencing the same thing. He won't put it on until the last pee trip before bed (privately in the bathroom) and I pack a plastic bag, that he knows to put it in in the morning - and just bring home in the side pocket of his duffle bag.

I always bring his own sleeping bag - that way there's no embarrassment if it leaks. I can just wash it when he gets home.

Hopefully, the Mom will have enough sense not to tell her daughter, but I wouldn't hesitate telling her to PLEASE not say a word.

Hugs to Savannah.....I know what you're both feeling, Shann.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
am still on the fence about calling. Something keeps telling me that if I call, she will tell her daughter.... in an effort to be good, but backfiring.
I tend to agree Shanna. Not sure I'd risk it.
Let her put it in a plastic bad and tie it up tight.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I agree w/ the others, let her mom know and the plastic bag idea is a great one. That way she can take her bag into the bathroom w/ her night clothes if she has a gallon size ziploc bag that would probably work. What about that swim bags? She can put her dirty clothes plus the pull up in that close it and walk out of the bathroom. :) Jon still wets his bed at night sometimes.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
One of my good friends had this same issue with her daughter. She wore "good'nights" and then just put it in her bag in the morning and brought it home. I think only one other mother knew. She just let her daughter handle it. If you thought Savannah could handle everything on her own, I would let her, and not involve the other Mom if you get the feeling she would tell her kid. If you think she will keep it to herself, then I would call, just so Savannah has a back up if she needs help with anything.

G

·
I'm not a mom - but thought I'd offer a few comments anyway. I will admit to having had the same problem until I was about 10. Please tell Savannah that it is somthing that will work out and that she can lead a "normal" life. There are lots of us out there who have gone through the same problem. I remember how she is feeling - but you are doing a great job of trying to find ways for her to participate and protect her feelings.

You have lots of advice from the Moms so you don't need any from me. I just wanted offer my support and encouragement to Savannah.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Not a mom, but also adding my support to Savannah.

Incidentally, if I were a mom, and you told me about Savannah's issue, there is no way I would tell my daughter. That is just not cool. I would be very discreet about it.

Hope she has a great time!

·
Registered
762 Posts
You could hide some panties in the bottom of the sleeping bag so she could switch between the pullup and panties first thing in the morning. Right there in the sleeping bag.
I have 3 daughters and one time one had a little girl over to spend the night and had an "accidnet". I helped get her cleaned up and to this day my daughter doesn't know anything happened. How well do you know the mom?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts