Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coworker has a 10 1/2 year old mixed dog I'd say there is some lab in there but I'm not sure what else. Her name is Isabelle she's about 63lbs. Her husband took her to the vet this morning because she's not been wanting to eat very well (she's always been a picky eatter) and they noticed her belly was kind of poochy. The vet did some x-rays and noticed her spleen is enlarged. They scheduled her for surgery tomorrow morning. They did not sedate her this morning for the x-rays so they will do that in the morning to make sure they don't see anything else. Isabelle is her baby and she is extreamly worried about her.
Does anyone have any experience with enlarged spleens in their dogs or have any advice?
TIA

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I can imagine how worried she is. :( Are they going to remove the spleen tomorrow?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My first lab, Tango, had his spleen removed when he was 10-1/2. The surgery and recovery was fairly easy. Unfortunaly for him, he had hemangiosarcoma that had already metasized to his liver. His spleen wasn't enlarged, so I'm sure that's not what she has. I just wanted to emphasize that the surgery and recovery were well for spleen removal. :)

Please keep us posted, OK?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Shadow had an enlarged spleen. :( She came through the surgery okay, but there was more going on that we didn't know about. Hers was so enlarged that it had already started to split, and the vet said that she was far too young for it to be so bad. Shadow never recovered so we were not able to find out what else was going on.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
My Shadow had an enlarged spleen but she had leukemia & a hemangiosarcoma. Good thoughts for your friends dog.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Unfortunately Stevie had one and it ended up being cancer. We lost her the next day after the diagnosis. A spleenectomy can help, but Stevie was too far gone and I didn't have $3k to do it.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Unfortunately an enlarged spleen is indication of something going on wrong in the body. I can offer no advice, just good thoughts that your friend's dog will do well with the surgery.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I had a Golden who had an enlarged spleen. She was probably 10 or 11 at the time. She'd been running around a little more than normal during the day and that night was walking real slow, like she was stiff and sore. She also seemed uncomfortable sitting or laying down so I took her to the ER. They took an x-ray, discovered an enlarged spleen and operated that night. Her recovery went well and she was home a day or two later- I forget which (this was perhaps 20 years ago.) She lived healthy and happy until 14 with no other problems. :)

I hope it goes well for your co-worker.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. The blood work came back good so they will be doing surgery to remove her spleen this morning.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mackenzye has hers removed when she was five. Hers was so large that it was interfering with her stomach - she'd eat, then she would throw up - just from the pressue.
It was a pretty straight forward proceedure. She was in overnight and put on exercise restrictions for approx 6 weeks. She was 100% better afterwards.

HTH

~N

1 - 12 of 12 Posts