Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dee has been a little off for a couple of days. Not throwing up or anything, still eating fine and going for walks etc., but just a little subdued and not seeming quite her exhuberant self. Then suddenly this evening she has totally gone off food of any kind...even her favorite people foods. She just turned down grilled chicken. It seems like she is interested in the food, but scared to eat. I'm guessing it is something to do with her mouth or ears, but again I don't really have a clue. One thing; when I tried to look in her mouth she cried and since then is avoiding me in case I try to look again. Her teeth are pristine, so I don't know what to think. I'm jumping all over the place with thoughts of what it could be, but she's never been sick so it's very odd for her. She has been on ear drops for the past week (finished this morning) and seems to be shaking her head occasionally. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the drops. Her ears actually look pretty good now, but she was still trying to rub them earlier. Oh and she had a rabies booster about 3 weeks ago. Ironically I was actually into my Vet's earlier today and mentioned that she had seemed a little off for a couple of days, (not the reason for my visit and nothing I could pinpoint). Her temperature was normal as of then.....and she had a full blood panel less than a month ago....totally normal. The only other thing I've noticed is that occasionally she seems to be swallowing as though she has a sore throat.....just my description. Of course as soon as we got home (Vet's closed by then) this started. I've talked to my Vet this evening and he said to give her a regular aspirin (that's not going to be easy) and if she's still the same in the morning to take her in first thing. I'm going to be awake all night worrying. :(

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Oh man...I am so sorry Dee is not feeling well. Doesn't it figure...it happens the moment the vet closes.

I assume she is pooping/peeing OK, right? If so it seems likely that your right about something wrong in her mouth...maybe an abcess or something? Could she have broken a tooth? Does she have a temp now?

I will keep her in my thoughts and keep my fingers crossed that the Aspirin helps her feel a bit better.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Hark, thanks for replying. I took a stool sample in this morning; just to check for worms. No problems. As of this morning normal solid BM. She ate her breakfast fine this morning. Maybe not quite as quickly as she usually does, but not seeming at all hesitant. Nothing up until tonight was very worrying. She wanted to go for her walk this morning as per usual and did her typical 30 pees while walking. I doubt she has a broken tooth, but we'll check everything. She actually did break a little front tooth last Fall, but we had it pulled....even though it didn't appear to be bothering her at all. Being as she has been on ear drops I'm wondering if it has anything to do with her ears, but they look okay and she's had the same drops before. I figure to put her off her food she must really be in some major discomfort. I've always said jokingly that if she ever refused food I'd know she had a real problem. :( She's gone to bed. Just wants to be left alone and not have her face/mouth touched. I'm sure we'll be off to the Vet first thing, because I can't see this resolving over night. She's such a happy girl. I hate to see her feeling bad.

Thanks for the good thoughts. They are much appreciated.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Vet visit definitely in order, certainly sounds like something is wrong in her mouth. Could she have gotten a small stick wedged in there? Poor girl, keep us updated, please.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Checking back in to see how you made out overnight. I know what you mean about having a lab that won't eat. It is definately NOT a good think because you know that must REALLY feel bad. :( Huckle only went off his food when he had a bowel obstruction.

((((HUGS))) to Dee! Feel better little girl.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Any possibility of a retrobulbular abcess. Sometimes a small thorn or thistle works its way into the gums and forms a small abscess at the back of the mouth behind the eye. Often the eye looks a little bulged. These dogs hurt when their jaws are opened wide.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for checking in Hark and thanks everyone for the ideas. Honestly I'm stumped. Fortunately she didn't have a bad night. I checked her about every 15 minutes; I was too worried to sleep much. Anyway, she seemed about the same this morning....still not eating. :( I tried her with a piece of cheese and she looked interested, but the minute it touched her lips she literally ran away. It's weird. I tried again to have a look in her mouth, but the minute my fingers touch her teeth she yelps. We dropped her at her Vet right as they opened this morning. He had surgeries all morning, so is going to check her out when he has an opening. She did seem a little brighter this morning; gave the receptionist a big kiss when we got there and tail wagging, but this pain when you touch her mouth and the not eating has got us very worried.

Rayluckloo - I remember reading about this happening to a dog either on this site or another. Her right eye has been a bit runny. I pointed that out to the Vet when I was in there yesterday (for an appointment unrelated to her current problem) and he just figured it was allergy. I will mention this to him though......unless he figures out what the problem is this morning. If this did turn out to be the issue I wonder how hard it is to fix. Sounds scary! :(

mombear - I thought of that because she does sometimes go after wasps etc., but there didn't appear to be any swelling on her muzzle at all.....just pain when you try to touch her mouth/teeth.

I'm sure the Vet is going to have to sedate her to get a good look in her mouth. My mind is jumping all over the place trying to think what's causing this. Hopefully I'll get some news soon. Praying it's nothing really serious. We love her so much.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my prayers are with you and your dog. how did the vet visit go.
Hi, thanks for asking. The Vet ended up doing emergency surgery for an abscess at the back of her mouth. It appears it was caused by some kind of a puncture. It's a puzzle because we can't imagine how she'd get a puncture; especially that far back. She's never out of our sight. :confused: Anyway he cleaned it out and gave her meds earlier today and she is home now and sleeping. He has sent a couple of samples/swabs away to check out what type of infection it was. In the meantime he's given us a broad spectrum antibiotic (Cephalexin) and some pain meds. Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon. We were so worried about her, and I had all kinds of awful things running through my mind as to what it might be.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Ahh! Well, now aren't ya glad you pay attention to your dog?

I wonder if it could have been caused by a stick? You know.. dog running with stick in mouth, stick hits the ground and bam, puncture. I am terrified of that happening..!

I hope that it heals up nicely. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Wow. So glad they found out what it was and Dee is back home recovering with you. :) Do you remember my post this spring? Guthrie was suddenly not himself and it turned out he had punctured an area in his gums resulting in a bad infection. Like Dee, he is never out of my site. All I can figure is that he must have been running around and got stuck in the mouth with a stick(we have old trees that are constantly losing branches).

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Justine. I knew something wasn't right, but it was so subtle until last night that I honestly thought I might be imagining it. The Vet figured that whatever happened it was probably just in the last few days. She does like to carry stuff around (including the odd stick when out walking), and we do walk in the bush. I guess a stick is possible, but she's always so close to us walking that you'd think she'd have yelped if something hurt her. Anyway whatever did it the Vet seemed confident that it was a puncture.

Hark, I tried to go back and find your post to read, but can't seem to see it. Did Guthrie go off his food really suddenly? That sure scared me because Dee is a typical Lab when it comes to food.....always under me waiting for tid bits when I'm doing anything in the kitchen. I knew she must be in a lot of discomfort when she was literally avoiding me when I asked her if she wanted a treat. They didn't actually find any foreign object when they cleaned out the abscess. I guess whatever it was none of it was left in the wound. Did they find anything with Guthrie? How quickly did Guthrie improve afterwards? The Vet has prescribed Cephalexin, Metacam, and if we need it Tramadol. I have to give her the first Cephalexin before bed. They are good sized pills, so not sure how they are going to go down considering she's probably pretty sore still. I'm wondering if I can crush them?

She's laying beside me sleeping and her tail keeps thumping every so often....happy dreams I hope. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I can understand why you didn't find it...time passes so quickly. It actually happened in January. He was no enthusiastic about his meals but was still eating. It was more this look in his eyes of "I feel rotten" that clued me in that something was wrong. Here is the post...you can see pictures of how much better the area looked after 2 doses of antibiotics. I hope Dee feels better as quickly. Of course Guthrie did not have to have anesthesia/surgery. I know that can feel a bit off coming out of anesthesia.
http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,93043.0.html

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Glad Dee is at home and on the mend. Believe me , no matter how closely you watch them, they can still get into stuff. I'd bet this was probably the result of a stick or something like that. I know this is a load off your mind and that the results of the sample will tell the whole picture!

Hope you get some sleep tonight!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hark, as soon as I saw your thread I remembered poor Guthrie's injury. I know what you mean about that "I feel rotten" look in their eyes....so sad. Also I think that the abscess itself (being so far back and on the top) wouldn't have been that much below her eye. :( Odd that her temp was normal considering. He did say that her glands felt a little larger than they should. The puncture was way back behind her teeth, so impossible to see. That's the part that puzzles me. Something would have had to have poked all the way to the back of her mouth. Had it been in the front it wouldn't have seemed so unlikely. Maybe the swab/samples he sent away will tell us something. The other thing....I would have expected her breath to be bad, but it wasn't.

She was tentative at first, but had some soaked kibble and chicken tonight......it's so good to see her eating! Knowing that she was in enough pain to stop eating had me really scared.

Guy, thanks for the good thoughts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts