Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a killer migraine since Sunday night... it's now Tuesday morning. I think I'm ready to kill myself at this point. I just have to find the time for it in between crying from pain and barfing..!!
It usually coincides with my cycle, but I haven't had one lasting this long in years.
I tried some meds my doctor gave me, tried tylenol, ibuprofen, even tried percoccets (sp). Nothing helps. At this point I want to put my head through the wall...
Does anyone know of any home remedies for this pain..?
thx
:(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor you! :(

My girlfriend at work used to get them SO BAD. She would get sick to her stomach, and had to go sit in a dark office. I drove her to the Drs. several times during work and the Doc gave her a shot of some sort in her leg. It went away pretty quickly after that. Something to ask your doctor about??

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Mine have never been that bad luckily 4 advil and going to bed for a good long nap in a dark room normally helps. If it's been that long I'd get to the doctor their is a shot they can give you that should help. I've only had it once but it did help pretty quickly. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Migraines are caused by the constriction of the blood vessels...you are literally feeling the blood pumping through them. I suffer from them also...I find execedrine migraine works really well...it has caffeine. Caffeine will help dilate the vessels and relieve the pressure. Go make some coffee and get thee to your local CVS for some acetaminophen (sp?) WITH caffeine. Take with food cuz it can make you jumpy. If the first one doesn't work...take a second one about a 1/2 hour later.

Also...do you suffer from allergies? You may have some sinus pressure that is exacerbating the issue.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
if it's lasted this long i would see a doctor. not trying to scare you, just making you aware, i had severe migraines prior to my stroke. i no longer mess with severe headaches.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
saw on the news that if you drink 3 glasses of gatorade, it's suppose to make it instantly go away. they had a couple people on the network try it, and said it actually worked.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I suffer from migraines. Get yourself to the dr. and get a shot of Immetrix and a prescription for same to have on hand for the next ones. Can't believe you have lasted this long. Poor thing...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I concur...get some prescription meds. Imitrex works great for me (although it upsets my stomach for 45 minutes...but I'll deal with that rather than a 24h misery). I don't go anywhere without it.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I don't want to be too scary but one thing I learned from my husband's illness is that a severe headache that doesn't respond to medication can indicate bleeding in the brain.
So get thee to a doctor.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I would get to the Dr ASAP. You need to find out what's causing it then hopefully you can get treat it accordingly.

I used to get them nearly every weekend. It was a combination of sleeping in late & diet. I used to be a big fan of chocolate, Chinese food & orange juice. All 3 are notorious for causing them. The link to Chinese food is the MSG that's used in so many recipes.

The other possible reason why it's going on for so long is MAYBE the drugs you're taking? I used to take a drug called Migril (sp?) The worst one I ever had lasted a week. My Dr was fully booked so in desperation I went to the chemist. He asked me what I was taking & I told him. He told me I had a "migril migraine" IE: after a while, they start working in reverse & CAUSE migraines. I never took another one since. Went back to the Dr & he changed my treatment & asked me about my diet that's how I found out about those 3 things. Now I just get the occasional bad headache but nothing like a migraine. I normally take between 4-6 neurofen over 24 hours & it usually helps.

Good luck. I hope you're over it soon. :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys... I gave in and went to the emerg (I hate hospitals). They gave me IV with some drug for migraines... but can't remember what it was. S something or M something... was too out of it to remember. Apparently it was suppoused to put me to sleep, instead I got the adverse reaction and it kept me awake and agitated. But the headache went away very fast (after 3 days - whoo-hoo!!) Gotta love intravenous drugs!!!
I have my dr look into it every few years and just did a CT scan etc recently and it's just migraines. I was diagnosed with them at the age of 8. Basically, as far as I remember I had them. Genetics, hormones, all the fun stuff play a role. Including chocolate... bummer..
:(
I just wish there was a miracle drug that helps without giving me some horrible side effects. I just keep trotting along and wait a few months for the next one to come along..

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
My migraine meds are in the bathroom connected to the room my Mom is sleeping in right now so I can't give you the name now. I know it has ergotamine (98% sure that's the name), and caffiene and maybe aceteminephin. It really works, but I have to get them from a compound pharmacy because they make them there.

I'm glad you went to the ER. You don't want to mess with a headache that won't budge.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Ugh I know how horrible they can be! I used to get one weekly when I was like 12.. it was hell!

The only thing that really feels good when they are that bad is to sit somewhere in complete silence and darkness with a bucket of ice water and a wet cloth to put on your head.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Glad you had it checked out!

I get HORRIBLE migraines...I take Imitrex and/or Treximet...I have been caught on occasion without my prescription and in a pinch, I have taken 2 Excedrin Migraine with 2 Aleve and it has worked pretty well...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.