Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2 lovely fresh beef femur bones with lots of marrow in the middle for Skippy and Emilu. I give them to them outside for about a half hour, then have been putting them back in the fridge. I froze 2 other ones that I bought at the same time. The thing is, there is still alot of marrow in them, and I think the dogs would enjoy them for a long time, but they've been in the fridge for about 2 weeks now, and I'm not sure what to do with them. They haven't cleaned them out enough to just let them lay around like bones to chew on. How do you "take care" of marrow bones?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Pat, I don't buy them very often any more, but when I did I always had the butcher to cut the bones into 2" or 3" lengths. That way the guys could easily fish out all the marrow... more difficult if the bone is much longer.

I think "used" marrow bones that have been in the fridge (not freezer) may be a little dicey. The marrow part, not the bone itself. I guess you could boil the used bones and scoop the remaining marrow out just to be safe?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If you have kept them in the freezer they should be fine. If in the fridge I would toss them. Marrow does spoil. Boiled bones tend to splinter and can be dangerous. The smaller two or three inch bones pose one of the biggest hazzards to your dogs since those can get caught easily in their jaws or throat. I would not risk giving my dogs either the smaller cuts or boiled bones. Once the bones are cleaned out you can stuff them with a little yogurt and applesauce. I refreeze ours until they are cleaned out.

I went to the market yesterday to get new bones for our dogs and sadly they were all cut in small pieces. Only got four that were 6 inches or longer. The butcher said they are all coming in like that now.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
We give them to our dogs for 10 - 15 minutes max when they are new. I get them frozen. They go right back in the freezer. It takes them maybe four times to clean them out. Once they are clean I pick them up and put them on top of the fridge and give them to them only when we are around to monitor them. You can also dab a little peanut butter in them. I use the cleaned out bones just like a kong.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We have always just let the boys have them. Their systems don't react the way ours do, and they don't get sick from things like that. Even Shadow had bones for weeks if not months, where there was still a little marrow left in the middle that she couldn't reach. They never smelled bad, so I just tossed them in her toybox along with the Nylabones. Still do the same for the boys. I just asked Bill this morning if we could cut off a couple inches from each end so they would clean them out better, but he said he only has one blade for his saw and doesn't want to ruin it on the bones. So, I guess I need to get him another blade!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I refreeze mine after they have had them for about 20 minutes to chew on. After about 4 or 5 times, I toss them & get new ones.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have the butcher shop cut them into 1 1/2" lengths and they both get one every morning after their breakfast. It is just enough to keep them busy for an hour and they can eat the whole thing. I keep them frozen.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
When Erns was allowed bones I would put them back in the freezer. The supermarket will chop them down the mddle so it is easier for them to get. The marrow is like meat so spoils just a quickly.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
The smaller two or three inch bones pose one of the biggest hazzards to your dogs since those can get caught easily in their jaws or throat. I would not risk giving my dogs either the smaller cuts or boiled bones.
I don't think a 3 inch bone will get caught in their jaws or throat. A 3 inch bone is a fairly good size. Not to mention, mine don't get marrow bones unless they're supervised.

I always keep ours in the freezer though. If they dont' finish the marrow, they go back in the freezer. Once the bone is empty they're tossed in their toy box. I need to stop doing that though, they're totally not interested in them when they're empty.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Once the bone is empty they're tossed in their toy box. I need to stop doing that though, they're totally not interested in them when they're empty.
We get 3" bones, and keep them in the freezer until clean. After they are clean, they go in the toybox. Bauer LOVES them empty too. He will pull them out one at a time, sniff, get the next one out, sniff it, get the next one out, sniff it, etc. Sometimes he finds the one he wants on the first try, sometimes it is the last one he pulls out. We call it the, " 'Das Not A Good One" game.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts