Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
As hard as it is to hear it is normal Lab puppy behavior. You definitely need a puppy class and a crate ASAP!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
AND the majority of us have been through exactly this !

EXACTLY !
So very true! I thought we were chicken flavored for a while!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
It is funny now, it sure was not then! :) Those little shark teeth and snapping jaws hurt! Maxx's best outlet was classes and exercise along with quite a few forced naps. It is party time when they start losing their baby teeth!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
That is awesome! Good luck, just don't get upset or discouraged if puppy tests you, sometimes they do!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Honestly, they are so good at testing our patience and trying us but as said above, he is a baby. It is not about him telling you what to do, he is begging for direction from you. Trust me, he does not want to be "in charge" of you. He wants direction and guidance from you and most of all he wants to please you. These dogs thrive on routine and it is so important you structure your day to give this puppy the time he needs to learn. Do not expect instant changes in behavior, it takes time and repetition. Classes are awesome and will be helpful in teaching you how to communicate with your puppy. I do promise you it will be so worth it in the near future. The more effort you put in the better the dog will be.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Very good point above about rewarding behavior. It is very important you reward behavior immediately, otherwise the puppy has no idea what he did right. I kept treats in my pockets constantly especially while potty training and I know that is why Maxx learned as quickly as he did. The "no bite" took longer but he was much more receptive to positive training than when I became short tempered or did not pay as close of attention. Patience, repetition and love = a well behaved and happy Lab!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts