Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to have found such a wonderful site. Quick intro..my name is Chris my wife is Becky and we are owned by Bart black lab, Mia an Akita mix, cats - Crosley, Jack, Randy and Charlie. All 6 are rescues/strays so yes they are the best. We all live in a little town in Kansas with 750 people. I collect antique radios and my wife enjoys photography besides being passionate for animals and their well-being. In fact the jack### uncaring neighbor has threatened us with trespassing charges if we go over to tend to their shephard since they do the very minimal at best.

Bart is approximately 1 1/2 years and is a bundle of love, energy and comedy. He is our first lab so yes it did take some definite adjusting and learning. Chew monster can define him. The Kong chewers are about the only thing he can't destroy.

Bart, named Turbo at the time, lived next door for his first 6 months with another jack*** that rented that place before the present jack***'s. Young guy that put Bartie on a 7 foot cable with minimal shelter and periodic feedings. We supplied a nice dog house, bought bales of hay, supplied food and water and more importantly provided the love and attention that he so deeply needed. One cold rainy night last March I heard Bart crying and wimpering. He was all tangled up and sitting in the cold rain. I ran out and brought him into our house for the night. BTW I was crying and wimpering too with my wife supporting me. Next morning "Bam, bam, bam" on our front door. Careless "owner" looking for Bart. Told him what happened but all he wanted was "his" dog back. I bit my tongue that time.

In May kid lost his job so he had to move back with his mom across town maybe 5 blocks away and he took Bart. More crying and wimpering for me.

In June my wife and I come back from running errands and on the porch there is BART!!! Bartie boy!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!! More crying and wimpering by all of us for joy. Ribs sticking out, exposed spine from lack of food. Stunk the high heaven. Blood shot eyes from strangulation from probably pulling from his collar. Our vet Randy checked him the next day to make certain blood shot eyes were not caused by head trauma. Negative for heartworms which was amazing. Science diet brought his weight back. The kid never ever came looking for Bart. Our gain. Not a loss for the kid because he couldn't care less.

He loves wrestling with Mia, long walks with me so he can get his hunting fix, playing with the cats etc. We are so happy to have him a part of our family. I will try and post a photo or two in another post. ---Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Hey this worked!! Here is Bart last week after coming in from outside of 10 minutes of "doing his business" in 10 degree Kansas weather. Jumped on the couch and he was trying to pull this blanket onto himself. I helped him out and tucked him in. He opened his eyes only because he heard me walking around a bit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome. Here is a picture of Bart and Mia posed for treats in front of a few of my radios. Notice the scarring on the tips of Mias ears as a result of the jerk previous owner that kept her outside thus causing permanent damage from biting flies.

Here is my cat buddy Crosley taking a nap after a fun time of chasing the laser pointer. She came from a gal whose boyfriend wouldn't let cats inside the house and said he hates cats. I say get rid of the boyfriend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.