Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost our wonderful 11 year old lab in January to cancer. He was an amazing boy. Smart, big (110lbs) and calm and confident. The search is on for a new family member, but our standards are high. We would love to find a larger lab, but we are finding that almost all breeders we talk to keep the dogs within AKC standards - so they are short, to us. So, I am here to vent, and here to see if I can find anyone in our similar situation. And don't get me started on American vs. English. I've heard so many explanations on the differences, it just comical.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
We lost our wonderful 11 year old lab in January to cancer. He was an amazing boy. Smart, big (110lbs) and calm and confident. The search is on for a new family member, but our standards are high. We would love to find a larger lab, but we are finding that almost all breeders we talk to keep the dogs within AKC standards - so they are short, to us. So, I am here to vent, and here to see if I can find anyone in our similar situation. And don't get me started on American vs. English. I've heard so many explanations on the differences, it just comical.
Hi, and welcome....try searching the labrador rescue groups, there are so many wonderful, and sometimes larger size labs available in need of a loving home:)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Welcome. My concern with your desire for exaggerated size in a Lab is that you will wind up focused on breeders who are not necessarily doing it for the right reasons. Better breeders adhere to the standard.

And - the larger the dog the shorter the lifespan usually.

But - Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts