Just Labradors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 month old Black Lab and right now she is a handful. Smart as can be, but soooo stubborn. Training is a challenge right now. I sure hope she outgrows some of this, but I admit I'm worried. She knows all the basic commands plus but is now 'choosing' to obey or not (unless food is involved, then her memory gets better). Anyone have any advice for working with stubborn, willful young labs? Especially to get her to 'come' when called?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi! I am having the same trouble with my puppy, she is 9 months. I feel like she goes through stages. She was really tough at 5-6 months, then around 7-8 months she was really good...well behaved, easy to train. Then now she is becoming tough again. Some days she is good other days I want to rip my hair out.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Puppies Pup Puppies.... Hang in there and stay with all the commands, treats, anything that works for you!!! Mazie is 1 today and we have come a very long way since she arrived at 8 weeks old... Yes it's very challenging but you can help them and see yourself thru this... enjoy every challenge and time spent for far too soon they are growing up and never to be a pup again.... loving, smart and willing for everything and anything... be there for them and expect nothing and you will be sooooo rewarded with a faithful friend for life!!!! Keep at the learning, loving and life in general... we are celebrating a birthday today that at times I wondered if I would see!!! She is proud and so am I at her progress.... Good Luck to you new pup owerners!!!! You can do it!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Our Adi just turned 8 months and she too is having her "days". I just read that she is her "defiant teenage years". I should know what that is all about since my 3 kids are teens. Nevertheless, she's so good most of the time, we can't get upset. I guess persistance and patience is the key...
Good Luck and post pictures!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI I also have a new lab puppy she is 7 mo old now got her when she was 4 mo old .But also have 4 yr old lab also . he was a hand full when he was a puppy also he grew out of it I am hopping my new one grows out of it to . because she is a big brat at times

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have a 6 month old yellow lab, and she's definitely in the heyday of her teenage years, haha. She has her days when she'd rather do what she wants and the selective hearing kicks in. But today she went to the dog park for the first time and loved it! (And listened better than I thought she would. The treats kept her attention.)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome

Hello and Welcome! I totally commiserate with you. I have a 3.5 month old black lab and training has been tiring to say the least. I don't really have any advice for you but wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Patience and Persistence is my mantra. Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
welcome to the forums.

I remember when we first got Abby(she was 5 months old). She was a handful back then, but we were persistent with training and even though it took a year or two she is now the perfect angel. Good luck with your baby

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Your dog is normal, you are being tested. It will/may happen at 6 months, 8. months, 10 months, 12 months, etc. The again at 2.5 years maybe. Maybe only toward the end of winter when they aren't getting enough exercise, or enough sunlight, or just deciding to see if you are still paying attention, or maybe you don't really mean it anymore.

Stick with it, don't give up. If treat motivate the dog, then treats it is.

I have watched some competitions on tv of breed shows, rally, etc. and guess what I have noticed. All these wonderfully trained and obedient dogs get treats as they proceed through the exercises.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good luck I have Alex and he is 10 months old and we are in our 4th obedience class. His teacher says he is so smart, but he chooses to obey or not. I love him dearly but our last lab was such a joy and so laid back this one is a real challenge. It has rained constantly here in NC so he is not getting much exercise and I am hoping when it dries up that will help. Like yours, if he would come when called he could roam our property but he doesn't listen. I am open for suggestions as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.