Just Labradors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever develop a heel spur? Pain caused by a problem with the Plantar fascia ligament that runs along the bottom of the foot and anchors at the heel. I have been having that pain for about six weeks and went to the doctor yesterday.
He just demonstrated two foot stretching exercises to do several times a day. They also gave me a soft boot to wear at night. The pain is always most acute when I first wake up in the morning.
I wore the boot last night and had a restless night getting use to it however this morning when I took it off and stood up the pain was substantially diminished. Even now the pain is not as bad.
Looks like a two or three month stretch to totally cure the problem but I can now get by OK without a noticeable limp.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I haven't experienced it myself, but my father recently had that problem and was seen multiple times, even receiving a corticosteroid injection to help with the inflammation. He was in terrible pain! Hope you get to feeling better.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Ya, I have the Plantar fascia pain. The exercises helped tremendously.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I don't have personal experience, but my sister had it. After several months of doing the stretching exercises, it almost never bothers her any more.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Dukesdad,

Been there, done that! Had it for a very long time, bad enough that I could not walk some mornings. I do the exercises when I feel it acting up. Mine was bad enough that my podiatrist told me to take Aleve over the course of several days, to bring the pain under control.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Me! As a teen I had to wear casts on each of my feet (at different times) to help with heel spurs.

Occasionally I still get heel pain if I'm not wearing good shoes.

Oh and you mention the morning- That's when mine hurts the most. It's not every day, but probably a handful days a month.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Plantar fasciitis can take forever to go away. SU had it last year and was really diligent about stretching and icing it after activity, and it did go away after several months, so take heart. She was also told that wearing the boot is really important at night to keep it in the right position.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Oh and you mention the morning- That's when mine hurts the most.
Yes, YES & YES!!!

According to my podiatrist, the morning is the worst because of the position our feet are in when we sleep. In most cases, your plantar fascia is in a nuetral position relaxed position we sleep. When we wake & stand, it stretchs it out... therefor hurts like hell.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In most cases, your plantar fascia is in a neutral position relaxed position we sleep. When we wake & stand, it stretches it out... therefor hurts like hell
Now the boot makes sense. It has a wedge at the toe end so the boot must keep a bit of tension on that ligament during the night. It did make a big difference this morning.
This is very similar to the boot I have.
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Night-Splint-Passive-FootSmart-10097.aspx

I see it cost $49.00. I bet I'm billed a lot more than that.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
That boot is interesting. I am guessing that the boot wasn't around when I had casts on my feet all those years ago!? LOL. Also- both my brother and I were given heel cups to put into our shoes. We both suffered from the same thing. I guess it ran in the family.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I have it, I wear the boot everynight and do the exercises (only) once a day. DS (17) has had it for 8 years and is good about doing the exercises but will not wear the boot! :mad: I find it never really goes away but with the exercises you can and will e free of pain! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Been there but didn't do that. I had what Labby said she has. Mayb eits different from what you had.

My Primary Dr. gave me three options.
(1) Go to a good (real) shoe repair shop. He gave me the nameof one in the area. Tell him you want an insert for relief from plantar fascitis.
(2) Go to this special shoe place and get a shoe made by, I forget the name, that basicall has the same thing built in, and a pair of mens shoes rns about $300.
(3) Take a referral to a podiatrist that will probably offer me the same options, but he wil be able to supply, (1) or (2) right in the office.
I went with (1). Paid almost $100 for these inserts. The guy slipped them in, I put the shoes back on, and I swear I had no pain. It was that simple. Hurt like hell when I walked into the place, and no pain on the way out. Dr. also told me no going barefoot for 6 months. (HE WAS WRONG!!!) Took a year for the foot to heal and it not be painfull to walk without shoes on a hard (kitchen floor) surface.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We see it a fair amount in physical therapy - ice, massage, stretches (probably the most important thing to keep it from recurring also - calf stretch with knee straight and knee bent), maybe some ultrasound or iontophoresis.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
My husband has this problem. He has done the exercises with little help. Last month he had the cortisone shot which helped some. But after buying about 10 pair of shoes, he has found a pair that seems to support his foot and had helped tremendously with the pain.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I have had this, it's very painful. I went for therapy, lots of stretching exercises, wore a boot for a few weeks and then an ankle support of all things! I have not had any pain in over a year but always remember to do the stretches, never want to go through that again!

The ankle support was extremely helpful...odd I know, but it took the stress off of the heel spur!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too have suffered from this. The pain you feel in the morning is the ligaments stretching and in many cases ripping the new growth developed over night. You can actually damage the ligaments even more. You will get used to the night boot...( it's great for kicking snorring spouses! :) The ligaments begin to heal at night in the lengthened position of the foot in the boot. Remember to do foot rolls before you get out of bed. Just sit on the edge of the bed and move that foot around without the boot on to warm it up.

The exercises will strengthen the foot as well.

At a good shoe store, get fitted for a correct pair of running shoes. They usually have the most arch support. Let the sales clerk know what you have and they may even recommend a shoe. They even give me extra arch supports. Birkenstock shoes are also recommended to help support the foot. There are also socks that have extra support built right in. It will make a difference. I wear my sneakers even around the house.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
At a good shoe store, get fitted for a correct pair of running shoes. They usually have the most arch support.

Birkenstock shoes are also recommended to help support the foot.

There are also socks that have extra support built right in. It will make a difference.
I've found that Ryka or New Balance sneakers given me the best support, so I wear them almost exclusively.

I have a pair of Birki's & they work great, but they are sandals so I don't really wear them in the cold weather.

My sister just got me a couple of pairs of socks, which a patient of hers recommended for plantar facitis/heel spurs. Have not gotten them, so I am interested to try them out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts