Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
This happened to one of the police dogs for our city. She happened to be a lab, they had her out ALL day at some event that was going on and she collapsed from the heat. She was rushed to the vet and thankfully made a full recovery. She's still out helping bust drug dealers. I hope the police force learned their lesson.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Good article.

Here in the Charleston area, it is the humidity that's the killer, you just can't cool off because there is no breeze and it's a virtual sauna outside most of the time.

We exercise the dogs in the morning or evening. And don't over do.

I'm always telling my students to cool their dogs when we train agility as well.

A lot of this is common sense, unfortunately a lot of people don't have much of that.

Thanks for posting this as a warning/reminder.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Good article. Do you all still exercise your dogs when it's this hot? My girls still want to play fetch but I end the game after maybe 8 retrieves otherwise they'd keep going until they dropped. Is this ok or should I wait for the temp to drop. I do it when I get home and my hubby does it early evening.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I still exercise my dogs. I just keep the exercise sessions shorter. Once they start that heavy panting....wide mouth...open throat....widened, long tongue....I stop at least for a while. I make them stay in the shade and have water available for them.

Once they start panting and breathing more normally, I do another short session.

Funny thing is that they still get just as hot just as quickly when we're swimming and doing water retrieving.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Good article and thanks for posting it. With temps above the mid 90s now and the humidity as high as it has been lately, I haven't taken the boys to the college to run around. I have played with them in the back yard with a few retrieves. It really doesn't take much for them to get ready to come inside.

I remember early on reading about some folks experience with them getting overheated. I am really trying to follow the avoid problem thing...

One other thing...I see people take their dogs with them and leave them in the car. Would be ok if it were 40 outside, but even after running the A/C the car can heat up very rapidly when it is parked.,

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for posting! I've been thinking alot about this past few days. We live in southern utah desert, about 120 miles north of Las Vegas so our weather is very similar. Shelby was just a young pup last summer so we were not out and about as we are now. For the past 2 weeks we've had to adjust our walk and playtimes, right now we walk at 630am and 10pm, and fun playtime in the river. I can definetely see the difference in her since the weather has warmed up...and it's only june..Ugh!

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Thank you for the info - I do have to say that Paul worries more about the dog(s) than he does me. I boated all summer with this man for over 10 years....Morgan came along in '02, 1st boating trip Memorial Day '03 - got lethargic and yucky from the heat - got boat air conditioning the weekend after Memorial Day '03. **** man - lucky dog---good mommy who stays close to dog and airconditioner!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts