Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have their been any studies on the alternate treatment of a Heartworm Positive dog? Precious has been Positive since she was 2 (4 now), but negative for Microfilaria. We have her on Heartguard monthly just to make sure she isn't reinfested by any new ones. We learned today that her Antigen levels were really high, which means that she has more adults than we originally anticipated her having.

I have already lost one dog to the traditional treatment, and I don't want Precious to have to go through that. Plus it will cost $700 dollars that we really don't have, and I just don't want to take that risk. I have seen cases where the dog outlives the adult worms, and still leads a healthy life. She has no clinical symptoms, and is otherwise a healthy dog.

She was on Revolution when she got the Heartworms. I do NOT recommend that for anyone as a sole Heartworm preventative.

Any help or discussion would be appreciated. I am torn as to which way to go right now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How long ago did your other dog die from the heartworm treatment? I think they changed the treatment in the last several years so that it's different from the way it used to be and less harsh. Personally if it was me, I would take her through the treatment. She's still a young dog. I've had probably 20 foster dogs that I've fostered through heartworm treatment and they're all doing fine - none died. They can do it where they split up the treatment and give one shot one month and the next shot a few weeks later and that's supposed to reduce the risk even more. Most of my rescues had the two shots within a day of each other. Maybe you could find a rescue that could help you with rescue rates for heartworm treatment if you became a foster for them - I know our rescue rate for heartworm treatment is around $250-$300.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Heartworm can be effectively treated homeopathically. Why don't you join the Classical Homeopathy group and ask your question there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts