Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as most of ya know, Sam and I are moving from AZ to MO this may. I don't have apollo on heartworm preventative now cuz 1. Its winter and 2. We are in AZ and there aren't that many mosquitoes here. MO is another story however. St. Louis is RIGHT in the heart of mosquitoe country. So here are my questions:

1. Who should go on heartworm meds: dog, cats, ferrets?
2. What brand?
3. Where do I get it (and where is it the cheapest to purchase)?
4. Do I give it year round or just during certain times of the year?
5. Should I start the animal(s) on heartworm meds BEFORE we move or can I start AFTER we move?

Also, what about flea/tick meds such as frontline, are they necessary? Ticks are quite common in MO.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
1. Cats and dogs here. (Know nothing about ferrets so not going to answer that comment).
2. Generally what your vet tells you. Heartgard is the most prescribed for dogs in Saint Louis though.
3. The vet. If he has not been on HW preventative, you need to do a blood test first to make sure he doesn't have HWs, because if you just randomly start giving him the pill, it can kill him if he has HWs. Please don't take him in public in Saint Louis until you have this taken care of- Lots of dogs have HW here, he's going to be highly susceptible (and frankly, he may already have it.).
4. Most vets here give it year around. It rarely freezes "hard" enough to eliminate the risk.
5. I would recommend before.
6. Frontline is pretty necessary here- not necessarily because of the ticks- but because again, we rarely freeze hard enough to get rid of the flea risk. Again, most people do it year round.

Be prepared to spend quite a bit of money on HW and Frontline here. I buy my Frontline online (petmeds.com). However, most studies have shown its unsafe to buy HW meds online.

Let me know if you need vet recommendations here.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
We live in mosquito country and I keep mine on Inteceptor year round (every 45 days). We use Frontline in the Summer...one dose in May and another in August.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gabbys mom said:
Let me know if you need vet recommendations here.
Yes please! ;D

Also how much does the blood test to test for heartworms usually run? I'll need to get that test done out here before we move. Ugh, gunna have to pay for 4 of these tests, then we can get all the animals on heartworm medication.

Do you give it daily, like a pill? or monthly?

How much does it usually cost if you buy it from petmeds as opposed to if you buy it from your vet?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, forgot to ask....our kitties are strickly indoor cats, do they still need the heartworm meds? I'm assuming yes cuz bugs still manage to get inside, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I use Hartguard and Frontline. You have to get them by prescription. True they are not cheap, but at least at my vet the prices are competitive with what I found online.

I know vets give it to dogs and cats, and likewise I know nothing about ferrets and what they should be using.

I would definitely get this taken care of BEFORE moving. I hope Apollo doesn't have HW but with no monthly prevention, he may. Only your vet can determine that. And like Memphis, St. Louis will have plenty of mosquitoes. So you want to make sure Apollo is protected.

I give Tal his HW med once a month and the same for his flea and tick and tick med. I plan on taking him camping and hiking some this summer and the vet said thay also have a spray for tics and mosquitoes that I can get. I'll definitely do that.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hmm, you can probably skip indoor kitties. Indoor/outdoor kitties definitely need it, though.

I use a once a month pill- the price is determined by the weight of the dog. Six months of the pill for my fatty :) is probably sixty bucks. I think it's Heartgard.

I bet it would be cheap for the blood test/HW pills if you went back to the Humane Society and had it done there in AZ.

The Frontline is probably 120 online for a 9 month supply versus 120 for a six month supply at the vets. Again, it's determined by weight- so a smaller dog is cheaper.

I'm PMing you my vet clinic recommendations.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know apollo was heartworm negative when I adopted him 2 months ago. I'd be pretty suprised if he DID have heartworm cuz we've been having constant "blizzards" here for the last two months what mosquito could live through that, also AZ has pretty low instances of heartworm, however, thats not to say it isn't possible to get it here. Apollo is my first dog, and I didn't know he needed to be on heartworm medication.

In St. Louis though I am gunna be giving him heartworm meds year round, no matter what, the mosquitoes there are relentless. I'll be having the vet do a second blood test before we put him on the meds though. Then once he's on his meds I give it what, monthly?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just called the vet clinic here in AZ. They said that for a vet visit, blood work, and heartworm preventative (6 months) it will cost: $101.65
Thats:

Visit: $32
Heartworm Test: $20
6month supplier of inteceptor: $49.65

Not as bad as I was thinking it was gunna cost. I'm so used to sky high vet bills for my "exotic" ferrets. This doesn't seem bad at all! Is Inteceptor an OK brand to use? I've only ever heard of Hartguard.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
In St. Louis though I am gunna be giving him heartworm meds year round, no matter what, the mosquitoes there are relentless. I'll be having the vet do a second blood test before we put him on the meds though. Then once he's on his meds I give it what, monthly?
Yep, monthly, usually with a once every year to two year blood test "just in case"

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Thanks so much for helping me out. Sam and I are gunna take apollo into the vet to get this squared away before we move on May 8th. Again, thanks a ton.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I use Heartguard and Frontline Plus. Both are monthly. Having a negative test is no guarantee if he wasn't on heartworm preventative. (Your area is probably safer--Kentucky is very bad for mosquitos and heartworm) When Jefferson was found he tested negative, but the rescue society didn't keep him on preventative and when I adopted him 3 months after he was put up for adoption, I took their word for it. I put him on Heartguard immediately, but 3 months after I adopted him he tested positive. He underwent treatment and did fine--but I never want to have to watch another dog go through that--it is very hard on them.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait are you saying that if I test him in a few weeks that even if the results come back negative then that might not be true???

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
No, I think she's saying that you need to re-test now- if they tested when they got him in the shelter (and they may not have), the results may be not be good at this point.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
$100 (USD) for 6 months of heartworm prevention for a LAB???

Jeez.. I gotta move to the states! It's like, $100 here for my minpin (she weighs 15 pounds!!! 15!! not 150, 15!!)

geez. I'm so gettin ripped off!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It's actually more like 60 for six months for heartworm for the lab- 100 for six months is for the Frontline (flea and tick). :angel

Where are you from?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Good ole' (southern) Ontario Canada. I've looked it up, and to have Baloo on advantage or sentinel during the warm season here when he's full grown (may-october - yah, that's it!) is like, $170!! (or more now, i got that quote awhile ago...)

It didn't seem so bad till I read this thread! yeesh!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts