Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from having the crew tested (one heck of a bargain at $15 each). I use treatment all year round but because we live in mosquito-land I test every year.
Everyone NEGATIVE - yeah!!!

Don't forget to test and put your loved ones on prevention.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Here's a question: I'm getting my pup at the end of May ... heartworm season ... I know he can't be tested because he wasn't exposed last year, but will I be able to give him a preventitive or is he too young? (writing this one down for the vet)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He can be tested, if you wanted to but no need to be. I cannot remember the cut off month.
But yes you can start them on prevention. Most are all safe from 6 weeks.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Just went in this morning. Our new vet does it right in front of you, which I love. I hated when they would take them into the back room and I could hear them cry. :(

Baloo was a big suck about the needle, his big (little) sister was much more stoic. :D

Both tests and full season of "prevention" (both dogs) for $116. Not too shabby. :)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Here's a question: I'm getting my pup at the end of May ... heartworm season ... I know he can't be tested because he wasn't exposed last year, but will I be able to give him a preventitive or is he too young? (writing this one down for the vet)
I believe heartworm takes like, 6 months or something to even show up on the test, so no, definitely no need to test him.

We got Baloo in may when he was 8 weeks, and I just had to bring him in to have him re-weighed every time he was due for a dose to ensure that we stayed with the proper weight category. I imagine your vet will recommend something similar. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts