Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does everyone get their heartworm meds from? I would like to find a place that is at least a little cheaper than my vet. I checked drs foster and smith but they are about the same price.
Anyone have any ideas?
TIA

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have always gotten our Heartgard from the vet, $30 is not cheap but the cheapest we've found. One thing with dr. Foster and Smith is that you need to have an account(Or something like that) in their pharmacy for your dog before you can order "meds."

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dogtrainer4God said:
We have always gotten our Heartgard from the vet, $30 is not cheap but the cheapest we've found. One thing with dr. Foster and Smith is that you need to have an account(Or something like that) in their pharmacy for your dog before you can order "meds."
That is cheap compared to my vet
Its $73.00 at mine

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the relpies I will try entirely pets.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
tucker2006 said:
I Get Heartguard Plus from www.petsuppliesnet.com no prescription needed 28.95 plus shipping much better than from the Vet
Even cheaper if you go KV Vet and generic. I purchased 3 Iverhart (6pk - 51-100lb) for $64.47 including shipping. Petsuppliesnet would have been almost $30 more.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought you had to have a perscription. Is it over the counter?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
See if your vet will price match when you find a lower price. Then you can still have confidence in where you're getting it from, and most vets will give free treatment should your dog develop heartworms while on a preventative you purchased from them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tucker2006 said:
No its not over the counter but at www.petsuppliesnet.com you don't need a prescription because it comes from Australia where they don't need one
Oh ok, I did not know that

Nick said:
See if your vet will price match when you find a lower price. Then you can still have confidence in where you're getting it from, and most vets will give free treatment should your dog develop heartworms while on a preventative you purchased from them.
Ok thanks Nick

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
tucker2006 said:
yes but you need a prescription on that site
Your vet won't write one? Thank goodness mine will. I already give them my $80 ($20 per dog) for testing. This year I think it went up to $25/dog. I am thankful they work with me on the meds. In fact they are the ones who recommended I use an online service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah He will Right one which is fine for the first six months when I take tucker in for all his other shots and testing but then for the next six months supply I would have to take him in again to get another prescription (another office visit charge ) Plus my vet has a policy that he has to fax whatever company you use the prescription to them directly Its just too much of a hassle for me

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
tucker2006 said:
Yeah He will Right one which is fine for the first six months when I take tucker in for all his other shots and testing but then for the next six months supply I would have to take him in again to get another prescription (another office visit charge ) Plus my vet has a policy that he has to fax whatever company you use the prescription to them directly Its just too much of a hassle for me
If your dog is already on heartworm meds and you need more meds why would you have to have another office visit. Are they drawing blood again? That makes no sense to me. And really it is that hard to use the fax machine. Sounds like a lazy clinic. One of the reasons I changed to my current clinic (after 15 years at the old one) was because we worked it out in an interview they would work WITH me! Sounds to me like your clinic is giving you the run around. Sorry. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your dog is already on heartworm meds and you need more meds why would you have to have another office visit. Are they drawing blood again? That makes no sense to me. And really it is that hard to use the fax machine. Sounds like a lazy clinic. One of the reasons I changed to my current clinic (after 15 years at the old one) was because we worked it out in an interview they would work WITH me! Sounds to me like your clinic is giving you the run around. Sorry. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree, my vet will write the same rx 10 times a month if I ask them to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our local news recently had a story about online shops vs vets. Even though you may save a little by going on the web, they did mention something about warranties not being enforced as they would be if you purchased your med from the vet directly. I know I looked last year to save and the savings was very minimal. I still get my stuff from the vet. That way, Doc knows what's going on too.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
vabeachgirl said:
Our local news recently had a story about online shops vs vets. Even though you may save a little by going on the web, they did mention something about warranties not being enforced as they would be if you purchased your med from the vet directly. I know I looked last year to save and the savings was very minimal. I still get my stuff from the vet. That way, Doc knows what's going on too.
My vet clinic suggested the online shopping. They normally suggest KV Vet. Nothing to do with warrenties. They just cannot stock enough like these places can to offer the bigger discounts. The discount for heartworm from my vet compaired to KV Vet is HUGE!! They are also the ones who suggested the generic. Either Tri-Heart or Iverhart.

Same thing with my contact lenses. My eye doc gives the Rx for me to order online for the very same reason.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts