Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, I think I really understand what some of you mean when you say you have/had a "heart/soul" dog. I've only had Apollo for a month now, but he's just so special to me. To be honest, I'm not really a dog person, but what is so funny is that when I'm around Apollo no one would believe that. He makes me sooo happy and he's just such a GREAT dog. He's all the things I want in a dog and more: smart, funny, calm, cuddly, non-barking, good with kids, good with small animals, gentle, great off leash. I just don't know how I could ever have another dog after him. He just sets the bar so high. Its like he was meant to be MY dog. Its like there's a little person trapped inside that cute black body of his that just....gets me. Apollo really gets who I am as a person and he always responds to suit my needs. He knows if I am crabby and want to be left alone. He knows when I'm sad and I really need a kiss. He knows when I am PMSing and to go give daddy the "shes crabby. she needs chocolate and chick flicks lol". (lol, no THAT is a smart dog!)

Even though Apollo was supposed to be my b/f's dog, he's really bonded with me. I hope my b/f will be able to get a dog one day that is as close to him as apollo is with me.

If anyone wants to, feel free to share your heart/soul dog stories here. What made that pup YOUR heart/soul dog? What was it about them that made them one in a million?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
When I was 16 my Dad brought home a dog he found roaming around on the PA Turnpike...no tags, filthy dirty, full of ticks. We just thought he was a cute mutt...at this first vet visit, we were told he was a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, about 4 months old. We assume someone abadoned him and he had a large dent in his side either from getting hit or someone kicking him.
The Phila Phillies had just won the World Series so we named him Tug, for Tug MrGraw.
Everyone in the family loved him, but I was the crazy, nut dog person in the family, still am today, and he quickly became my dog.
We did everything together. Any guy I dated got used to the fact that Tug came with us, unless it was a movie or somewhere he couldnt go.
When I went away to college I cried. omg I missed that dog. I came home as many weekends as I could to see him. When I would leave on Sunday afternoons to go back, my mom and dad told me he would watch my car pull away and run up to my bedroom and tear up my pillow, stuffed animals, shoes...anything he could get his hands on. He was upset over me leaving.

I was so happy that Tug lived long enough to meet my DH and also my son. My son became his son. He doted on him and followed him around as he crawled around the house. "Tug" was one of the first words, my son learned how to say.We had to put him to sleep right before my son's 1st birthday and I was inconsolable. I was depressed and sad for months. We buried his ashes on the dunes of our shore house. The beach was his favorite place to go. I still say hello to him when I am walking on the catwalk to the beach and miss him everyday.
I never thought I could love another dog as much as I love him. Emma and Aidan are proving me wrong.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Aw! :angel: What you described with Apollo reminded me very much of Crash. As you may have guessed from my other post, he stole my heart and never gave it back.

It was many of the things you said. He was so perceptive about what we wanted. We always marveled at what a gentleman he was...he could always sense what we wanted, or didn't want him to do, and responded accordingly. He was a genius when it came to getting along and keeping the peace.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I'm so happy reading your post about Apollo and how far he has come since you got him; it shows your dedication to him.

I've also read your replies/threads about your animals and how young you are. Kudos to you.

:)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Tal is my first dog really. We had a Cocker Spaniel when I was a kid but he really bonded with my granny.

I had already put a deposit with the breeder after visiting and seeing their place , where the dogs were raised and all. I went back after Tal was born when he was only 3 weeks. I wanted a black male, and he was the only black male in the litter. He was also the only one who would let me turn him on his back and was just as calm as could be. Well until he was hungry. He stole my heart that day and has had it ever since. In fact, it has only grown deeper and stronger.

I swear sometimes I think he knows what I am thinking before I do...

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, but trust me you will get him closer and just love him more and more for every day, month and year! :)

Emma is my heartdog. She's my soul and she owns my heart. Whenever I'm not with her, I feel lonely, and my heart is only half. You know I feel weired going to the store, because Emma's not with my side. And I swear she feels the same about me. When I open the front door and she is waiting for me in the hallway looking at me with her big, brown wonderful eyes, wagging her tail, I'm completely whole again. A week or two before she was up for surgery, for the first time in my life I felt a huge big lump in my stomach that just grew and grew. And I felt a pain, I really did, in my heart. I thought my heart was going to break. What a weired feeling. From that moment I say I love my girl so much my heart hurts sometimes.

When I got her I had no, believe me absolutely no idea, how much I would become to love her. Of course I have loved her with all my heart from day one, but the love only gets stronger and stronger for every day. She's the only animal or human I have smiled, laughed and cried so much for! She's so perfect, everything I ever wished for: She's trustable, gentle, mellow, sweet, smart and is lovable and she loves me with all my faults. Like an on line friend once said to me about her lab: I talk with him with sentences,and he understands so well. And that's how it's with Emma: other dogs understand commands, Emma understands whole sentenses...

She's my dog, BUT she's soooooo much more than just a dog (I think you all know what I mean) :) She's my friend, my companion, my baby, my everything. I would defend her with my own life. I can't even explain my feelings for that girl. She's so precious to me. She means more for me than my own life.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Misty(yellow F) was my first love. I had gotten her from the Humane society as a pup back in 1979 (?) She went and did everything with me. Very rare was I seen without her. The bond we had was like no other,I swore she could read my mind. I lost her at the tender age of 9 to cancer(presumed).

Maxie , although not my second lab, was my second soul mate. She had a wonderful personality and bonded so strongly with my two girls (human) that I felt she was an extention of SU and I. We had her for 14 great years. I miss her to this day.

We had fostered a couple of labs through out the years,although we didn't know it was called fostering. We just couldn't bear the thought of sending these lovely ladies to the shelter. Brandi,and Katy-pup came to us as unwanted labs (at different times) and though they hold a warm spot in our hearts,they didn't have my definition of soul mate. We were able to find them homes where they were cherished. I loved them dearly, but I knew they needed to have a permanent home.

Maggie and Daisy are a delight. At almost 2 yrs old,both are constant companions. Everyday we see more and more of their delightful personalities emerge. Maggie is the "great and soon to be famous" heart melter. She knows exactly when to snuggle and love. Daisy is a constant source of laughter. Her antics bring belly laughs when you least expect it. I never expect to have another soul dog like Misty,but I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Annie was my heart/soul dog. Now mind you, I love Sally to death and we are very, very close. But I don't ever see how I could have that same bond like I had with Annie. Just the way she would look at me when I talked to her. I swear, she understood every word. She knew what I was feeling and how to respond that feeling. She knew if I needed her to be playful.....or quiet.....or give me attention....or give me some space.

She was so tuned into me that I could show her something once, maybe only twice and she had it. I don't care what it was.....once or twice and she had it down.

Yep, when we had to have Annie put down at the tender age of 11 months, it took a piece of my heart that will never......NEVER be replaced and left a void that will NEVER be filled. Sally has certainly helped bring me some joy back in my life and I love her dearly. But that heart/soul bond....that click....maybe it will come one day between Sally and me, but I'm not sure if it can every happen to the level it did with my Annie.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Growing up I was actually afraid of dogs--scared out of my mind. My sister and I had been attacked by a dog one day while visiting at my Aunt's house. There were only a couple of dogs I could really deal with being around (any dog my aunt ever owned b/c they were all so gentle and calm and a friend of our who had a sharpei named Sambucca--but even they it took me weeks of meetings to be comfortable around them.) The fear of dogs continued into college and one evening I called home and heard what I thought was barking in the background. I asked my Dad if he was dog sitting for Sam and he replied "NOPE, we got a dog" I was so mad at my parents....they knew I was terrified of dogs how could they do this to me! I cried for days b/c I was afraid to go home--and of course they got him right before Christmas break.

Well I went home and when I walk in the door there was Shadow. Shadow was a 2 year old black lab and I was so scared but I think he knew b/c he went right down into a down position and stayed there until I got up enough courage to go and pet him. Well by the end of Christmas break I was in tears but this time it was b/c I had to leave Shadow to go back to school. He was a great dog and once I got out of school I lived at home for another two years. Shadow slept with me every single night, went every where I went and was always tuned into how I was feeling. I am no longer afraid dogs and owe that to my Shadow. He is also the reason I am hooked on labs as my kind of dog.

It will be 2 years this May that Shadow passed away. I miss him every single day. His collar hangs on the end of my bed so that he will always be close by.

Now that we have Ernie I don't miss Shadow any less but Ernie is also stealing my heart. I never knew Shadow as a puppy and Ernie is a really cool puppy. He is so easy going and pretty mellow for the most part. I think that each dog that you own always steals a big piece of your heart that just belongs to them but that they always leave enough of a piece for the next dog that enters your life. :)

I need to upload more pictures of Shadow onto our new computer but here is one that I do I have on this computer

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
My family always had great dogs growing up but Tucker is my (and my husband's) first dog where we are the primary caregivers. Tucker is only 2 but I already worry what will happen when it is his time. Tucker has grabbed hold of our hearts and he and I have a bond that I can't even describe (I know you all understand ;) ) I know he is my heart dog and no other dog (no matter how great they are) will measure up to him. Tucker is loving, funny, obediant ... basically perfect. I can't wait to come home from work every day to spend time with him.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Some of these stories made me get choked up! (WeHeartLabs, you were so lucky that your heart dog got to see your little boy come into the world!)

I had a connection to Mickey from the minute I was able to look into his eyes in person. He searches your eyes and face like he's considering your inner emotions sometimes. Other times, he just looks at you with a wordless invitation to have fun. He, my daughter and I became inseparable from the start; where there was one there was all. Vacations were planned with Mickey in mind (pet friendly only please), and outings always include Mr. Mickeymagoo. He always seems to know when I'm feeling tired, or anxious, or sad, and just what to do to make me forget what's bothering me at the time. (rub my belly Mom, that will make you feel so much better!) He and my daughter have the same wild and carefree joy, and they both remind me to take the time and enjoy that same approach daily. I am so glad that the boys have come along at a time when they will grow up with Mickey, and learn the joys of loving a dog. My poor DH didn't have that growing up, and it's really sad because he knows he missed out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts