Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hank has gotten very erratic with our dogs - he loves them yet he has snapped at them - he has drawn blood on a few dogs - including a foster dog, my mum's dog and most recently his two "leaders"

Last night he nailed Brody - to the point Brody will be off agility perhaps til after regionals ... very scary and while we have have managed to adapt to this lovely wonderful nuerotic soul since he first joined our family 5 + years ago we have made the heart breaking decison to euthanise him.

It was not made lightly, nor without consultation. Our vet wonders if there is something organic happening - she feels that extensive testing would only make us feel better there would likely be no resolution of whatever it is (brain tumour/chronic pain/whatever). I think we will go on the assumption that there is something going on as it may bring small cold comfort. He is elderly for a dane (he is dane/gsd mix) and he is anxious by nature.

We are not inexperienced with big tough dogs.. and Hank is not even a big tough dog - he's reactive, he's neurotic but we adore him and he adores us.
He gets tons of walking and off lead exersise - he sleeps hard when he's at home.

There are times life just sucks. I'm sure lots of you will be horrified - I am horrified but if he kills one of our other dogs I .... am left speechless at the thought honestly. If we rehome him he may (probably will) start the downward cycle of slightly crappier home after slightly crappier home - or he won't be managed/challenged at all and will be dead in 6 months anyhow.

Not sure why I needed to share this - especially at this point .. bring it on - be as nasty as you want ...

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
My heart goes out to you. Only you can decide what is best.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
what a heartbreaking decision you've had to make. i'm so sorry. :(

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I would not second-guess your judgment for anything in the world.
My heart goes out to you. A decision to euthanize is excruciating for the owner.

God bless you, God bless Hank.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I'm so sorry. What a heartbreaking decision to have to make.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I can only imagine your pain. I am sorry you have to go through this. No one knows what you have gone through. Sometimes these tough decisions have to be made and I am sure it is never easy. (((((HUGS))))))

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I'm so sorry, what a tough decision- given the situation I'm sure its the right one. You would feel horrible if Hank hurt a person or seriously injured another dog- (((hugs))) to you:(

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
If anyone dares to critize your decision it is them we would go after not you. This was not a spur of the moment idea or one made because Hank is inconvenient to have around. It is made in the best interest of your other animals and Hank himself. Something is going on that he cannot control. You made your decision with love and kindness.

May you have some comfort knowing how much you loved him and he had a great life with you. That he will be free from whatever is causing his current demons and run with the wind playing with the other dogs in joy and happiness that wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge.

My heart breaks for you as you go through this difficult time. I so understand the guilt you feel but you are beating yourself up when you shouldn't. You would feel horrible if someone or another animal was seriously injured.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think you decided to share this because it is a heart wrenching decision and wanted to let your grief out. I understand. We had to make the same decision only a little time ago. We love our dogs despite their faults and when their faults become dangerous to us or others we must make that final decision. It is hard and in the end the right decision. I still grieve and wonder if I could have done something different but I know no matter which way we went, all the roads led to the same ending. I am sorry.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Until someone has walked in your shoes, they have no right to judge what you decide to do. Given what you have told us, I would have made the exact same decision. Someone times the right decision is the hardest decision to make. God bless.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
AZlab said
If anyone dares to criticize your decision it is them we would go after not you. This was not a spur of the moment idea or one made because Hank is inconvenient to have around. It is made in the best interest of your other animals and Hank himself. Something is going on that he cannot control. You made your decision with love and kindness.

May you have some comfort knowing how much you loved him and he had a great life with you. That he will be free from whatever is causing his current demons and run with the wind playing with the other dogs in joy and happiness that wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge.

My heart breaks for you as you go through this difficult time. I so understand the guilt you feel but you are beating yourself up when you shouldn't. You would feel horrible if someone or another animal was seriously injured.
VERY well said -- I agree 100%

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I am so sorry. Your heart much be wrenched into pieces.

May we all have the strength to make the best decision for our loyal companions (and not for our own reasons) when needed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts