Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we had the phone interview. I thought it went well. Then I heard back from the lady and she said that their committee decided once I have my backyard fenced to apply again. *sigh* I understand their concerns...but still a little disappointing.

One positive way to look at it I guess is it gives me time to save up more for a second pup. Till then its going to be just Buck and I. Added a couple of Buck's photos below. He is LOVING the snow storms we are getting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Oh that's disappointing!!
On the one hand, I understand rescues wanting fenced yards...on the other hand I think it is a little ridiculous in some cases and should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. We would be rejected as adoption candidates also because our yard is not fenced, BUT...we live on 3.5 acres with woods to explore, parks, trails and ponds & rivers to swim in. It's a dog paradise. We have trained our girls very well and they are never out alone or unsupervised-ever. I think some of these rescues miss out on placing these dogs in truly perfect, wonderful homes simply because of unfenced yards, when in some cases it should not be an issue.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
That is disappointing. Being a volunteer for a lab rescue, I understand the concern about fenced yards (that's a question on our application, too, and we insist on a home visit). But I also know that we evaluate on a case-by-case basis and it's not always a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, they knew before they did my phone interview that my yard isnt going to be fenced in till the spring. So it definitely wasn't like it was something they discovered during my interview. Oh well, I will be sure to apply again once the yard is done! They can count on that :p

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
That is disappointing. Being a volunteer for a lab rescue, I understand the concern about fenced yards (that's a question on our application, too, and we insist on a home visit). But I also know that we evaluate on a case-by-case basis and it's not always a deal-breaker.

This makes me sad too! I don't ding on not having fences...especially when you already had a lab. Bummer. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm so sorry :(

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'd give you a dog based on those three pictures alone. How much more proof is there of a good home than a happy face like that?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Aw, I'm sorry. If it makes you feel any better, we were turned down early in our marriage at the Humane Association for not having a fence. :( But! If we hadn't been turned down, we never would have met Crash, and he was the love of my life for ten plus years. It just means that your dog isn't ready yet. It will happen. :)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the kind words guys :) I keep saying the same thing...when the time is right it will happen. I just have to be patient. Buck will be out there romping around again today! We got another 20+ inches over night and its still coming down. brrrr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts