Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

So, I'm waiting for Sienna to grow through her akward stage. I was hoping to get some critiques on her head in the meantime. This waiting is killer! I was really hoping to be going to a lot of shows at this point.

Anyway, she is just over 8 months old. Sorry the background isn't something pretty, but we're all dirt around the house right now. Plus, I was by myself trying to get her to stack and take the pictures. I was pretty proud that I even got a couple decent shots. I tried to get pictures of her with her mouth shut, but almost everytime she shuts her mouth, she also closes her eyes, lol.

So, please critique away, and be as harsh as you wish... ;)

My one mouth closed shot, and she has her lip tucked under...she looks like she's giving the stink eye or something

And for fun, a really bad full body shot (it is really hard to stack and take the pictures!!) and I caught her mid lick.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quite a nice head. :)

Biggest fault there are her eyes. They are on the small side and they are yellow. The AKC standard says that yellow eyes are undesirable as they give a harsh expression. I believe the Canadian standard includes them as an acceptable colour though. So it probably depends where you live ;) In the side body picture her ears appear to be set a bit high on her head but they look okay in the other pictures so perhaps she's just very alert?

Her skull might be a bit domed but she is far from finished maturing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks blacklab!! I gotta look at her eyes now, lol. She's sleeping of course. Gosh, I don't think they look that yellow in person. And she was very alert in the picture with the high ear set. My little brother was driving by on our ATV and she perked up to look at him and that's when I snapped the shot ;D

Thanks for the critique. Anyone else?

·
Registered
163 Posts
For comparison here is a picture of one of my girls. She goes to the other extreme.

She has eyes that are correct pigment and size but too round. She shows the whites in the bottom outside corner if she is looking up. She has the most lovely, soft expression but it's not correct either.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
163 Posts
And for comparison again...

a chocolate with correct eye pigment. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between. Not many this good in Australia. This girl is in New Zealand.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
She is still young, and in regards to the coloration of her eyes, they can still darken. My Grace, who will be 2 at the end of the month, has had her eyes continue to darken since we got her has a pup. Her Mom had super dark eyes and her dad was a BC with the correct dark eye, but she seemed a bit light around a year...but she's almost totally dark brown now. So it still could come.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
CYNLABS said:
She is still young, and in regards to the coloration of her eyes, they can still darken. My Grace, who will be 2 at the end of the month, has had her eyes continue to darken since we got her has a pup. Her Mom had super dark eyes and her dad was a BC with the correct dark eye, but she seemed a bit light around a year...but she's almost totally dark brown now. So it still could come.
Agree about the eyes. Derby's eyes were light until he was almost 2 and both his parents were black. Now they are correct eye color. He's 6 now. I think a lot has to do with lines and how those lines mature.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys...I'm hoping that holds true for her and her eyes darken. I was looking at her parents again and both have lovely dark brown eyes, so we'll see what happens. No matter what happens with her in regards to conformation, she is the best girl...perfect temperament and we love her to death! :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
I too agree about the eyes. Blue is a dark chocolate, while her sire had lighter eyes, I believe her mother had darker eyes and I have definately noticed Blue's eyes continue to darken significantly as she grows. She's already rode the spectrum from blue (when she was very young) to dark yellow. The eyes will get there. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The eyes have it! I only glanced through the previous posts but her eyes struck me first. Let's hope they darken as she matures. I'm sure they will!! ;)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Just wanted to say I can totally relate about the age... Aidan is a bit younger and we are anxious to see what will change in the next few months...What can I work on with him and what am I going to have to just live with lol

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Be patient. Yes, chocs eyes darken seemingly forever...3 yrs is not uncommon. And as for ear set, don't worry on that either. I've had pups w/ what appeared as higher ear set (out of a 3x CH, no less) that at 2 yo, look great! I think she's quite pretty though your photos were too big to view as easily for me. -Anne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops. sorry about the picture size. Interesting about the eyes. This is a strange question, but how do the eyes darken? Like do they generally darken all over. I noticed that Sienna has very dark brown area around her pupil. Lol, will that continue to spread outward? If so, she will definitely have lovely dark brown eyes. I guess I've never studied any of my dogs eyes before ::)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I've just noticed that Fuji as a baby had the same shade as Sonya (6 mos daughter) right now. Fuji's eyes are much darker now, though not as dark as her sire's.... I'll see if I can find some photos. Here's one of her as a baby though. -Anne

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I wouldn't expect too much change in the eyes. Having said that, they are not TOO light, just a tad yellow. They don't really create a harsh expression, so it shouldn't hold her back too much at all.
Here is a chocolate puppy at 6 weeks....you can see that her eyes are already dark and have no hint of yellow in them. A good eye will start out and stay dark.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
FallRiver said:
I wouldn't expect too much change in the eyes. Having said that, they are not TOO light, just a tad yellow. They don't really create a harsh expression, so it shouldn't hold her back too much at all.
LIke I said before, I think it depends on the lines. My guy's eyes were pretty yellow-looking up until he was 2 years old. He now has eyes that are the correct shade.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
FallRiver said:
Here is a chocolate puppy at 6 weeks....you can see that her eyes are already dark and have no hint of yellow in them. A good eye will start out and stay dark.
You know... it's funny but *I* think a 6 wk old puppy's eyes ARE darker than they may be at 6 mos. Here's my thoughts--- Pigment in a small (puppy) eye may be more concentrated. As the eye/iris grows, the pigment dilutes. Until that pigment can catch up, eyes will look lighter. Believe it or not, we see the same thing in apples (oh lawd, now I'm bringing my real background into this!). Small apples can be nice and dark red, and then WHAM, we are hit with a nice growth spell and they "bleach out". Well, it's not like we LOSE anthocyanin (red pigment) in that case, the fruit just GREW!!! So then we need to do some more things to make more pigment..... Heck, I've heard of various supplements that show folks have used over the years to supposedly try to darken the eye... and honestly, nutrition could well have a role in eye pigment... it sure does in apples, anyhow. 8)

The other thing we may be seeing still at 6 wks in a pup is the effect of the "blue" pigment still in the mix. When mine are 4 wks or so old, I will make note of the darkness in blue... I think it goes hand in hand with the ultimate eye color but I will be making notes on that for a good time longer. I also think that darker coated chocs may TEND to have a little darker eye. The girls in my last litter (Sonya, etc) are a shade lighter than the boys. The boys all have a darker eye. I think ideally the eye needs to match the coat. Light (yellow) eyes on a dark choc is far more distracting it would be on a medium choc. Any other choc breeders here that could blow this fish out of the water???? :-\ -Anne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, for whatever it's worth, Sienna did NOT have yellow eyes as a pup. They were not dark brown, but they were most definitely brown. I'm trying to find the pictures of her mom and dad, but they both had dark brown eyes. Here are a couple of Sienna puppy pictures.

Sorry, they are a bit blurry, but they are the only ones I can find.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry but it's quite obvious to me that Sienna was going to have light eyes from the start. They might not be yellow but they don't blend in like the pup that Fallriver posted or the ***** that I posted.

**** she's a cute pup though! And I think she's shaping up really nicely as an adult. What is that she is wearing? A chastity belt? ;)

(yeah yeah I know it's a Lupine harness she has twisted all around herself)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There is a yellow or light hazel hue to that's puppy's eyes that is still there as an older pup and will essentially remain as an adult. I wouldn't call it a yellow eye or a serious fault, just a bit of a light eye. So she's not perfect...I've yet to see one who is ;D
My chocolates do not have a blue eye as youngsters.
I have heard that field lines tend to have blue eyes and a friend of mine has these puppies and they do go back to field lines (albeit several generations back)...I haven't seen it that often in the puppies I have and evaluate. But I tend to look at the same lines, so you never know. Interesting thing, genetics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts