Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I noticed apollo acting like he was gunna vomit. He vomitted up his kibble, fur, bile, and some chunks of bone. The bones were all smooth and polished (no sharp edges) cuz they were raw. Is it normal for a dog to vomit when they get their first soup bone???

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
How long did he chew on it?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
This is not unusual at all. If he has been kibble fed his whole life the concept of raw is very new to him and his stomach. It takes some getting used to especially as the marrow is very rich. You might want to scoop as much marrow as you can out next time and trim off any excess fat. Also, give it for him to chew in short periods -- start with 20 minutes, then 30, 40, and so on until he can have it for as long as he wants.

I remember the first time my Joker had a marrow bone. He had explosive diarrhea literally an hour after eating it. I learnt my lesson and built up the amount of time he was allowed to chew on it in short periods. Now he can stomach anything raw.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Lucy can get chunks and slivers off of bones and if she does, she will throw them up.
I rarely give fresh to them anymore. We have a few old ones that she doesn't crack off bits and I just dab peanut butter on them rather than buying fresh ones.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See that is what I was thinking, Trickster. I know when the ferrets start on raw there were a few upset tummies and diarehha, but no vomitting (ferrets RARELY vomit). So when my pooch started puking, I kinda got worried. I will trim the extra fat/marrow off of them and I'm sure he'll adjust quickly.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Mocha will throw up when I give her bones I've tried working her up to it starting with just 5 minutes but the result is the same unfortunatly. I don't think she's getting any more. The ones I have are actually beef rib bones but I took almost all the fat off and they don't really have much marrow in them so I don't know. A few of them she was fine with but normally not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts