Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eileen and I had a good laugh last night at each others' expenses....

Back in Dec, the choir I work with did their traditional pass-the-hat for a Christmas gift for me. They came up with a VERY generous sum. In years past, my intention is always to do something *concrete* with it, but more often than not, it gets tossed into the grocery/gas/general money fund and whittled away.

THIS year, I was adamant: I not only wanted to get something tangible but also knew what I wanted that thing to be --- An HD TV for our bedroom, mounted on the wall. The TV in our room was ancient, tiny, and scarily un-balanced on a credenza.

So I pulled the trigger and got what I wanted: a 26" Samsung. Nice. And it went up on the wall w/no trouble at all. But we were still using the analog signal from the cable company.

Yesterday afternoon, I swapped the old box out for an HD box. Re-cabled everything and (((insert angel chorus here))) fired 'er up.

Stunning. Amazing. Breath-taking. Sharp and clear. Looked at a little of the BCS game (desipte having *no* interest) and was rapt at the detail. Can't wait to watch NFL.

Eileen sweeps in. Glances at the set.

"Did you hook up the HD thingy?"

"YES!!! Can't you see the difference?!?!?!"

[ . . . ]

".......no. Not really"

<<picks jaw up from floor>>

"Honey, LOOK!" <<Flips to analog news broadcast. Returns to digital HD. Back. Forth. Old. New. Old. New.

"Can't you see it now?!?!?!"

[ . . . ]

"Wait. Is that the OLD picture or the NEW picture?"

<<faint>>

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
OMG, that's funny, there is SUCH a difference. Sometimes my husband will put in a non HD channel and not realize and I always have to make him change it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We just got a 32" Samsung HD. But it looks fuzzy to me. Is there something we didn't do right? :eek:

Oh, and the **** thing is complicated! Twice in the a.m. I woke up and it's prompting me for a pc hookup saying there is no signal. Apparently I hit the wrong button in a sleepy fog the night before. No matter what I did, I couldn't find my way back. The direction book? Forget it! My head was spinning. ALAS! I see a "reset" button on the remote that came with the TV. I hit it and it tells me to hit it again and VOILA it resets everything for me. :D

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
i don't think this is a man v. woman thing..
That's what I was thinking.

We don't have an HD TV signal yet, but we did get a cable for the PS3. First movie we watched I couldn't believe the difference. We really need to call AT&T and get switched, if nothing else before the Super Bowl. I hope we don't need a new box - we have about 70 hours of stuff DVRed on ours!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
We have a Hitachi plasma and i love it. Don't ask me how to hook it up though. I do know the "HD thingy" is the HDMI cable that actually brings in the HD signal from the HD box though. ;) My job is to approve the purchase, his job is to pick it out and hook it up. I do the computer stuff though, that's not his gig at all.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I can totally tell. My favorite is watching newcasters...they are not pretty in HD. Especially the locals. :eek: And you wonder why there are children posing as reporters on all the newstations all of the sudden...they aren't scary in HD!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I think she's screwing with you because you were so excited. Having a bit of fun with your childlike awe at HD.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Not all women are like that. I was the one that wanted to pay extra for the HD channels on our DirecTV....love them! Clarity was only so-so a few years ago but you can really tell a difference now.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think she's screwing with you because you were so excited. Having a bit of fun with your childlike awe at HD.
Been married 21 years. Known her since I was 19. She was totally serious.

Until we fell into laughing at each other!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wait. Do I have to subscribe to HD with my cable company in order to watch in HD? I know, I'm such an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Wait. Do I have to subscribe to HD with my cable company in order to watch in HD? I know, I'm such an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Yes, and there is of course and extra charge for that. You will need a different box also. Don't ya love how they continue to get you??

ETA: And if you are watching a DVD you are not watching it in HD unless your DVD or BluRay is HD also.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm such an idiot.
I already have the digital box...that won't work?

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
congrats on the new tv, dan!
i love my hdtv and hd channels so much that i have lost interest in going out to the movies.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I am still bumbling around with an old tv, convertor box, ab switch and a whole lotta cables and I still have to get up and switch cables to go from Dish to reg. tv.

SUCKS!!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Amy, you also have to get HDMI cables that carry the HD signal from the box to the TV.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Geez Louise!! When the TV in the livingroom sh*ts the bed, maybe we'll upgrade then.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Well, now I have a bigger problem. I have an older TV that is not HD. But I have HD on my cable and an HD box. I'm not paying extra for this, it came with our package. Our TV is a pretty big one, 42 or something inches. I cannot justify buying a new TV just to watch it in HD. I'm not going to get rid of a perfectly good TV and buy a new one. Hubby wouldn't either. Especially, for the price I'd have to go to a smaller one and we like the big screen. Wonder how long it will be until it breaks? If I wanted it to, it will probably last twenty more years!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts