Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max was diagnosed with slight hd about a year ago, I had noticed a "bunny hop" whenever we went out for a run together. I took him to my vet and we had xrays done ect, after that Max was put on strict diet, my vet told me the lighter he became the less problems he would have in the future. Well about a month and half ago his hip started acting up so I took him to the vet agian, he gave me a perscription for DERAMAXX 100mg, 1/2 a tablet every 24 hours. After the first day Max was moving around agian like nothing had happend, things were fine until about 3 days ago I heard him yelp so I ran in to see what happend (We have a cat and sometimes they play a little too rough) my question is this, the vet described it as what some people deal with when they have arthritis, so does that mean he'll have good days and bad days, does it just flair up out of no where? I'v been giving him SynoviG3 Soft Chews since the first day we found out he had mild hd, and it seems like it has helped, but seeing my poor guy in pain is pretty heart wrenching.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It is exactly like arthritis...it is arthritis. HD in itself is not painful. It's just a term used to describe the fact that the hips formed improperly. This doesn't actually hurt the dog, but over time, this poor alignment of the ball and socket joint wears down the cartilage. Eventually, the bones rub together, the body sends various enzymes and chemicals to try and salvage the joint, and you get arthritis...just like we can get.

Have you visited an ortho vet? There may be surgical options in addition to supplements and drugs.

Jes was also diagnosed with mild-to-moderate HD, but so far he hasn't had any symptoms. I think you're right in that they have good days and bad. The weather, excess exercise, a lack of exercise, and a variety of factors can influence the condition.

How old is Max?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An ortho vet eh? Haven't heard of one of those around here. Max's birthday is next month he'll be 6, like I said before it's not something that happens often I was just wondering if he "played too hard" he could agitate it? We do go to the beach often and I toss on a little doggy preserver for him and let him swim his heart out, the vet said it's great exercise for his condition.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I always recommend ortho vets just because that is their specialty and they usually know a lot more than your regular vet. I like Jes's vet a lot, and he did help, but he didn't specialize in orthopedic issues. It's not a knock on his skills as a vet, but just realizing his limitations.

Sometimes it's not an option, not every practice has one, and quite often most cities (except for larger ones) don't have one.

I think you're right, he probably just played too hard, and I also think swimming is a great idea. It's very low impact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty then thanks for the advice, Nick. I'll have to see if we have any ortho vets in my area, I just want to do anything and everything to better his life now, and in the future.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You could ask your vet to recommend an ortho. Another option is a university vet. college if you have one nearby.

Like Nick said, this is not to knock your vet. Veternarians have specializations, just like human MDs. When my vet diagnosed Trapper with HD, she recommended we see a local ortho practice not far away from here. I took Trapper there for a consultation, was dissatisfied with the diagnosis and treatment recommendations (among other things!) and a couple of weeks later drove three hours to Madison WI for a second opinion. It turns out Trapper is fine, so it was well worth the time and money spent, but even so I am glad I spoke with an ortho vet for advice.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Ernie is 4 and has serious H.D. He does have good and bad days. The Winter has been very hard on him. As Nick said weather, excersie etc play a big part.
I have found swimming is the best thing for Ernie.

My Vet told me not to excersise him more than 20 mins. If I have been out and he plays around more than usual I give him more Metacam when I get home.
I also give him Glucosamine and shark cartlidge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My American eskimo had HD. Some days were good others were bad. heavy exercise was out of the question. Keeping them slim helps as do the supplements. I got some good stuff at the online store of drs. foster and smith. When it progressed I actually gave him adequan shots every other week. it helped more than anything. We also used rimadyl but that damaged his liver and eventually he died from the liver damage. I would never use rimadyl again. Adequan is so much better and no problems with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts