Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I plan a garage sale? I mean, how do i price stuff? I want to do it this saturday but I have no idea how to do it. Do you just put stuff out there and let people name a price? Here's an example: i've got a BMX stunt bike for sale, its in awesome shape we paid $400.00 for it about 10 years ago, it has spent almost all of its life in our shed (ya know, kid had to have it, then never rode it). So if someone comes along and offers like 10 dollars for it, what do i do? I don't want to overprice something either. I've been to maybe 3 garage sales and never bought anything, So give me some examples of great deals you have found at garage sales.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I haven't had a garage sale in years, but I just kind of guessed at the prices ($10 for an Exercauser, $15 for a pack-n-play, etc.). I would be careful about specialty things (like the bike). It isn't really a garage sale item, and you would probably do better trying to sell it on Craigslist.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Aim high. Especially early on. As the sale stretches on and you're faced w/the prospect of either taking a ten-spot for a $400 bike or schlepping it back to the basement and storing it for another 53 years, be prepared to dicker.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I just went to a town garage sale this last weekend. I found a few bargains.

Make sure you put stuff "out there" I mean where people can see it. Group items together such as Men's clothes, Women's clothes...and so on.

As far as prices go I would ask a fair price. People will as you if you will take less....I for one am never good about that. My weakness at garage sales.

Good luck...they can be a lot of work but it's worth it to get rid of stuff :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That bike should go on Craig's List, not the garage sale. You'd never get half of what it's worth.

In addition to grouping things, aim high like Dan said and leave room to bargain.

We have some boxes and tables of things marked "$2 each or 3 for $5" and "$.25 each or 5 for $1.00" and that seems to sell more.

Above all, watch for the sun bleaching things out! :( I had a large rack of clothes and the sun bleached the shoulders on many of the items. If you have cloth items, try to keep them in shaded areas. Other things will also fade, and very quickly, so keep an eye on them.

Oh yeah - check with your city of town to see if you need a permit. Some places require one, and limit you to maybe 3 sales a year.

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Ask your neighbours if they are interested in having a sale too, then you can advertise a "multi-family sale" and they can help out with postering around your community too.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
On the bike - if you feature it in the ad you may get someone looking for that specific item. And - it is not worth anywhere near what you paid anymore. In storage for 10 years it likely needs a lot of the rubber replaced. So - pick a price and see if you have a taker - you can always put it on CL after the sale.

I always use stickers (available at walmart or office supply stores) and put indvidual prices on each item. You get the most serious shoppers first thing when you open. Be prepared for people to start showing up ahead of your official start time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts