Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off-shoot of the tacky funeral thread, I mentioned what I wanted could not be done and a couple folks were curious.

What I wanted and can not be done is to be buried in a plain wooden casket on the west hill of Rock Creek Station State Historical Park, in an unmarked grave where the sod was just removed and replaced.

It would not be allowed, but I did check just in case.;)

OK, plan B, even though my wife really don't care for cremation, we talked again last night and she will go with my wishes.

My ashes will be spread just south of where the trail ruts go up the slope:

Out on this section of virgin tall grass prairie:

I'm a charter member of The Friends of Rock Creek Station, a non-profit corp to help keep up the site.

A friend had his ashes spread there in 2003.

I have asked that "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive" by Hank Williams Sr be played and the family can choose what ever else they want.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True and I used to think that also, but having to do a funeral is easier on the family if you let them know.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
True and I used to think that also, but having to do a funeral is easier on the family if you let them know.
since none of my family is speaking to me i don't think they'll give a crap.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
My only plan is not to be there.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
My dad says he is building his own casket.

I said you are not allowed.

He got mad. I said nevermind I'll deal with it myself. LOL.....he is sooooooo cheap.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Very true. When my grandparents died they had everything set-up and paid for. There was nothing for anyone else to do or worry about. They even had the grave marker out on the grave . . . just waiting for the ending dates.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Very true. When my grandparents died they had everything set-up and paid for. There was nothing for anyone else to do or worry about. They even had the grave marker out on the grave . . . just waiting for the ending dates.

So did my grandparents!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
When my grandma's husband died we didn't have a funeral. He said funerals were nothing but sitting around crying and he'd be damned if people were going to boo hoo for him. So when he died he was cremated and my grandma took his ashes to some place he wanted and she spread them there herself. Then she cooked a HUGE dinner and we all ate Howard's favorite food and told funny stories about him.

My other grandma already has all her stuff paid for, my parents don't and I told them they better hope my brother takes care of all that stuff cause I don't plan on it! :p

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
When my grandma's husband died we didn't have a funeral. He said funerals were nothing but sitting around crying and he'd be damned if people were going to boo hoo for him. So when he died he was cremated and my grandma took his ashes to some place he wanted and she spread them there herself. Then she cooked a HUGE dinner and we all ate Howard's favorite food and told funny stories about him.

My other grandma already has all her stuff paid for, my parents don't and I told them they better hope my brother takes care of all that stuff cause I don't plan on it! :p
I'm with Howard!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm with Howard!

This helped me a lot. It hit me really really hard when my grandma's first husband (my grandpa) died. My dad adopted me when he married my mom and grandpa and I just stuck together. Nobody in my new stepfamily really liked me much but grandpa was always there for me. We watched baseball together and if my (#*# aunt tried to pick on me, grandpa was there to tell her to back off. He taught me about sports and when I got hurt doing one of my daredevil things he never yelled at me for doing something stupid he merely patched me up, gave me a kiss and sent me on my way. If I was too hurt to play outside anymore for the day he parked me on his knee and we watched the Braves. Grandpa was my whole life as a little kid and when he died it shattered my world. The doctors made mistakes on a gallbladder surgery and it cost him his life. My parents brought me in to see him at the end and with the last of his strength he held up his hand and shook his head, not allowing me to come in. He didn't want my last memories to be of him and his frail body hooked up to all those machines.

I was sent to my other grandma's and two days later we got the call that I had lost my grandpa..I was only 9. My world collapsed. I was so upset I didn't attend the funeral. When I was finally old enough I found his grave at the memorial area (He served in the army) and I bawled my eyes out.

Howard filled that hole grandpa left when him and grandma got married years later. He stuck up for me at family stuff and really was a lot like my grandpa. Grandma told me part of Howards reasoning for his lack of funeral was for me. He didn't want me to go through what I had years earlier. This way I was able to say goodbye to Howard with a smile on my face.

I will always smile when I think of him and his hillbilly sayings. I hope my kids and grandkids memories will be of me like that.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I don't want very much money spent, and I want all my organs donated to science. I'll be dead, may as well make use of my body. Then I want people to go and enjoy some delicious food (the $ can be spent on that) and celebrate the fact that I'm in heaven with Jesus. :)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
DH and I will both be cremated and have special places that we want our ashes taken. Mine will be in the San Juan Islands in the State of Washington. DH, well I can't really share because its not really legal to put ashes there;) When my Step-mom died it was sudden and unexpected, she was young, only 58, so the only thing we knew is that she wanted to be cremated. We did that and put her with her with my Grandparents, I think we did right by her, but it would of been nice to know if she had any special wishes. It's so difficult to think of these things when your in the middle of your own grief. Later I thought her favorite place in the world was the Pacific Ocean, so many family memories and great times we shared there. It would of been nice to have scattered her ashes there. To be able to look out and say hi too her every time we go to the beach.........

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
My parents have taken funeral planning to the nth degree. The whole shebang(s) is paid for, casket (for Mom) and urn (for Dad) purchased. Last year they paid for and had installed, their headstone, complete with names & DOBs already engraved. They bought their double plot some years ago. Mom wanted us (kids) to go see their "gorgeous headstone", all set up & waiting. She was so excited. I told her the first time I will go lay eyes on that is when one of them are being put under it. No sooner. Creepy. No thanks.

They said they don't want us to have the financial burden, or to have to worry about details when they pass on. I think it's a wonderful thing to do, but I would prefer if Mom wasn't so enamored with their headstone. "Come see it! It looks sooooo lovely!". Um, no.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I agree with Kelli. I'll be dead so I really won't care what they do with my body. They can serve Soylent Green for all I care.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts