Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE
We have found the answer do to a very good internet sleuth.

From the Merck Manual Online

What are persistent pupillary membranes (PPM)?

Persistent pupillary membranes are strands of tissue in the eye. They are remnants of blood vessels which supplied nutrients to the developing lens of the eye before birth. Normally these strands are gone by 4 or 5 weeks of age.

Depending upon the location and extent of these strands, they may interfere with vision. They may bridge from iris to iris across the pupil, iris to cornea (may cause corneal opacities), or iris to lens (may cause cataracts), or they may form sheets of tissue in the anterior chamber of the eye. In many dogs these tissue remnants cause no problems.

Gypsy came in today from Kentuky. She is a chessie that was in the pound donw there and is going to NY CBR Rescue tomorrow. The driver that brought her to me ask if I knew about the bullet in her eye. I said WHAT!!!

I have to agree, it sure looks like a BB to me, but the cracks coming out from it is weird. The eye is too soft for it to have cracks like that. She seems to be able to see perfectly well on that side and the eye does not have any scaring on it. It is smooth. Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this and if it might be a cyst or tumor?

She has had a rough life. She is missing several teeth and a few are broken. The driver said she was "Beat Around" by her former owner. Still, she is happy and just wanted to snuggle. Sandie already has an appointment at Cornell for her next week. She will be in the best of care in NY!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Re: Have you ever seen anything like this?

that is very strange and makes me think of a broken glass eye :-\

She looks very sweet and it is heartbreaking to think she had a hard life :(

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

I have a horse that has an eye that looks some what like that. She poked her eye with a stick. Kolleen's eye is just a little more cloudy in the center of the injury.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts

Poor girl. I'm glad you got her Joe.

·
Registered
617 Posts

My Shadow is a 9 yr old CBR male and I love him to death! How could anyone have done that to her? Maybe she poked it on something. She is a beautiful Chessie girl! I hope she finds a forever family soon.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
She's adorable Joe, I'm glad you found your answer and it doesn't seem to bother her much I hope that stays the case. I hope she finds a forever home soon :-*

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Glad you found the answer and that it doesn't bother her at all. She is a beauty, hopefully she finds her forever home soon.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts