Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a lady walking her lab last night and I asked her if her dog was aggressive and if that is why she had that on him. And she said no it part of training him. She didnt get into it with me on how this is training. What do you guys think she meant?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
dunno....I steer clear of dogs with muzzles. Never heard of that used as training??

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I wonder if it wasn't a muzzle but a gentle leader or whatever those halter looking things are called.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I know what those look like. IT was a muzzle. I use to have teh one gentle lead or whatever its called. Didnt work out to well. Left it down one day and Tater ate it. Thats how he tells me if he likes the collar or leash. Well I was just wondering.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
She could be training him to leave food/poop/other nasties left on the ground. I have seen a few people in my area with muzzled dogs for this reason.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I have a muzzle for Zoe "just in case" she gets hurt and growls and snaps. Some dogs do that, don't they?

Anyway, every so often I take it out and put it on her for about 30 seconds just to get her used to it. But I guess that's different from what the woman was doing.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Maybe she just didnt want her dog picking up poop and other junk off the side of the road. Her way of training "leave it" maybe?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one for Duke. I got it around christmas of last year cause we were going to visit families with children and he was at his bitty stage. I didn't want him bitting a child. He took to it well. I would put it on in the house for no reason other than to get him use to it, and reward him with treats when I removed it after only about 5 mins or so, gradually leaving it on for up to 15 min. I used the one that looks like a cage but dosn't stop Duke from drinking or barking, and I can (but didn't) give treats threw it. The lady at the pet store said she found it to be the most humaine. I still have it but haven't used it since last christmas.
Are you thinking of getting one or just curious as to why someone would use one?

:)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you guys think I should get one for Tater for this saturday for the Cancer walk? He still kind of is in his bittey stage also. I am always scared he might play bite someone and I get into trouble.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Tater said:
Do you guys think I should get one for Tater for this saturday for the Cancer walk?  He still kind of is in his bittey stage also.  I am always scared he might play bite someone and I get into trouble.
I wouldn't. Hold her close to you when walking. If she goes for other people or dogs, gently pull sideways on her lead to regain her attention.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I think that muzzles are for use in extreme cases, not for mouthy dogs.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think that muzzles are for use in extreme cases, not for mouthy dogs.
I agree. If you keep all your attention and focus on Tater I can't imagine he will be able to bite anyone. Use a training collar if you must.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the training collar that is what we use on walks. He will be on that Satuday at the walk. Kind of nerves butI am sure he will do fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts