Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the worst "luck" with traffic tickets, and have never gotten out of one. I think it is because I am too defensive :rolleyes:. Have you ever gotten out of a traffic ticket?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I have gotten pulled over and not been given a ticket, but I wouldn't say I've "gotten out of a ticket." I didn't do any fancy talking or make any excuses, I mean.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Yes I have. (Sorry if the story is long). After college, I got a job in the big city (Philadelphia). I was going home one night from the burbs after just moving into the city. I ended up in the wrong lane (left) and needed to make a right hand turn. I didn't know my way around the city well, and thought if I don't make this turn now before you know it I will be over the Ben Franklin bridge and into New Jersey:eek:, hopeless lost. There was no traffic in the right lane so I made a split second decision to make that right turn. There was a cop behind me.:(

The red/blue lights came on and he pulled me over. He came up to my window and asked me (very business like) if I knew what I had done. I said "Yes Officer, I made a right hand turn from a left hand lane. I just moved into the city and don't know my way around so I took the only way I know." He asked to see my license. I gave it to him and he asked "What happened to this license, was it in a fire?" I told him the truth, which was that my family had just gotten a beagle puppy and he got my wallet and chewed up everything in it. You could still see all the info on the license so I didn't bother to get it replaced. Mr All-Business Policeman walked back to his cruiser. He didn't bother to run my license because he was too busy standing with his back to me, trying to cover up that he was laughing his head off. I could see him in my mirror:D. He recovered his composure, came back to my car window, and in his best professional manner told me I could go.

I guess you know that when I went back home, that pup got some really nice treats.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Why do you keep getting them?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't get tickets, not since I was a teenager.
*knock on wood*

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you keep getting them?
Usually speeding, and I don't fly past people at 100 mph. If I am keeping up with the flow of traffic, and traffic is moving at 85 . . . I will be the one to get pulled over.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Only 2 tickets in my life, one at 16 and one about 5 years ago. Deserved both of them and didn't question it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Oh er.. 3 were for speeding, one was for flooring it to make a yellow light.. VROOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Too bad the cruiser was waiting for the green.

oops.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I got out of half by going to court.

Got 2 tickets, simultaneously.

I was the lead car in the Left Turn only lane at a stoplight at an intersection and didn't have my left turn signals flashing (1 ticket). In making the turn, I immediately entered the outer right (slower) lane instead of the more central/inner lane and then using the turn signall to change lanes (2nd ticket). A ♀ police officer was driving the car immediately behind me and immediately pulled me over.

In court I pled no contest to both offenses but the judge tossed out the second one, saving $150.

:D :D

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'm 1 for 1 with speeding tickets-first instance it was with a NJ State Trooper very nice man -gave me a warning only doing 78 in 55 mile zone.
I lost out on the other local NJ town (*******} I was passing a car doing 58 in 45 mile zone. I went before the town attorney and plead in down so no points on what was a perfect driving record. cost me $425.00 and my understanding is this Sussex town lets you do this twice. They have a very nice 2.o million municipal building-Gee I wonder how they got that. The poor folks next to me were husband & wife and guess what both got tagged for speeding in this lovely town. Any NJ people on here it's Route 23 just as you pass WELCOME TO SUSSEX

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I've only got one ticket out of probably the 6x I've been pulled over. Although all but that one was in my home town and I really think the cops are just really bored and like to pull people over to check for people drinking. Most of the times I was pulled over it was after work at McDonalds which was like 2am. I can't say I tried to sweet talk them or anything but I was polite and just kept my mouth shut. I did get 2 or 3 written warnings though. The one ticket I got was in Tennesee on the interstate.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Got out of one in 1989 that I should have had, went hunting, borrowed my Mom's extra car because we had only one at the time. Was running late on the way home, needed to get home and cleaned up to see my oldest, then 4 sing at some church. Had the rubber band on that 6 cylinder Hornet wound up pretty tight, in a 55 zone.

Over the hill coming the other way was a Deputy in a Camero, Them guys are ready for a chase. Looked and was between 85-90.:rolleyes: As I went over the hill he was doing a J turn behind me. I pulled over and stopped, he came over the hill flying low and overshot me.:D

He backed up and when he came to the window, it was open and the engine was shut off, my hands on the wheel. He came up and said, "guess you know what you did."

I said yep, and told him the shotgun on the passengers side was un-loaded and the handgun in the holster on the seat was loaded. He said thanks and I gave him my license and the registration, telling him it was my Mom and Dad.s car.

He asked if I knew how fast I was going, said I did when I saw him and looked, told him I had no idea the thing would go so fast. Also told him why I was in a hurry.

He handed the paper work back, said to slow it down to the limit and thanked me again for telling him about the guns. Told me to have a nice day.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I've been pulled over more times than I can count. Early on due to the car I drove (once a cop pulled me over because he wanted to get a better look at it). Since then - less interesting car but same lead foot.

I have never gotten a ticket for any sort of moving violation. Even before I got my "get out of jail free" card, I talked my way out. In 1975 I talked my way out of a speeding ticket with a State Trooper on the PA turnpike about 100 miles outside of Pittsburgh. I was doing 95 in a 65 with several visible bottles of liquor in the car as an underaged drinker in that state. I have talent (and I was pretty cute way back then).

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I would say that I got out of 2 tickets in my 38 years of driving. I think that I got out of both of them by throughly admitting that I had done what they accused me of. One was for "running a red light" in a little town that the main road goes through to on the way to Columbus, that was a known speed trap. It was just dusk (can't see well at that time anyways) and I really couldn't judge the distance to the stoplight. I ran it on yellow and it turned red - cop pulled me over, I admitted my guilt (I'm good at admitting guilt) and he let me off with a warning, and helped me work my way back into traffic. The second time was even worse. I was going on a job interview in an unfamiliar city. I was completely lost and didn't realize I was on a ONE WAY STREET! I wanted to turn left at a light, and I did - except that there were 2 more lanes of traffic left of me! The car beside me had to slam on his brakes to keep from hitting me, and of course there was a cop car right behind him - lights on - I drove into a MCD's parking lot, got out of my car and ran over to him and started babbling half hysterically "I'm so lost", can you tell me how to get to ......? He said - I should give you a ticket - you almost caused a wreck bak there! (first, he was a little startled that I ran over to his car) Me - "I know, I know" I'm so lost, I didn't know where I was" Him - "I should give you a ticket" Me - "I know! I know!" Him - OK be more careful from now on. Me - "thank -you so much - can you tell me how to get to.....?"

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
One of my exes was an undercover Border Patrol agent. As a 'courtesy of the brotherhood,' we never got a ticket. One Memorial Day weekend on the Ohio Turnpike, we passed troopers in the median. They were sitting there with a news truck. We were doing about 20 over the limit, so naturally one trooper came after us. I pulled over (I was driving my car - his had the little star on his plate so he always just got a wave and salute) and my husband handed me his badge to show him.

When he got to the window I had my hands on top of the steering wheel, badge in hand. He looked at the badge and said "Oh ****, they were taping when we clocked you so I have to make this look good!"

He stood there and talked for a few minutes, went back to his car like he was running the plates and my license, came back, talked a bit more, then waved us off.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I have been pulled over 7 times, (yes, I keep count) and have never been given a ticket. This can be verified by my DW who gets furious when it happens. She has also been pulled over 7 times and has gotten 7 citations. I believe that one of the tickets I got out of was because the officer felt sorry for me when the DW was gloating so much that I was going to get one this time. Nope, didn't happen.

I don't make excuses. I am polite and respectful. I don't know why they let me off, but they have.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been pulled over 7 times, (yes, I keep count) and have never been given a ticket. This can be verified by my DW who gets furious when it happens. She has also been pulled over 7 times and has gotten 7 citations. I believe that one of the tickets I got out of was because the officer felt sorry for me when the DW was gloating so much that I was going to get one this time. Nope, didn't happen.

I don't make excuses. I am polite and respectful. I don't know why they let me off, but they have.
Sounds like my husband and I. He always gets off too. He got pulled over going 70 down a country road a couple of years ago. I called a friend and was laughing about how he was finally going to get a ticket. The cop came back and said, "I don't want to tarnish your perfect driving record, so slow it down." WHAT!!??!!

Not me, a couple of years ago I got a ticket while passing a car on the highway that kept speeding up and slowing down. I was clocked at 78 (in a 70 mph zone, while passing), got pulled over, and got a ticket. I took the day off to fight it in court only because he was so rude. I didn't think I would win, but I wanted someone to know how rude he was that day. He didn't show up on the court date, and I got out of it (but I didn't get to tell him how rude he was). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The first time I was pulled over cruising along at 90 in a 65 zone in Southern Virginia, I definitely got a ticket. "One mile per hour faster and I could give you reckless driving with intent to kill." :rolleyes:

The next time I was rushing home from work to let Jake out before I went back to check the kennel at night and put the other dogs to bed (I was working at a dog kennel). Just getting ready to exit the highway, and bam, red lights flashing. I immediately started bawling (stressed out to begin with) and he politely informed me that I wasn't getting a ticket - and asked me to please stop crying, everything was okay. He gave me a warning, for a burnt out tail light.

Last time I was in NC, running back home to get Jake's harness (John and Jake at the park), speeding again. Pulled over for 50 in a 35. Officer asked if I knew the speed limit, I (honestly) said no, this is my first time in this part of town and I assumed the speed limit was 45, I'm going home to get my dog's harness. He asked for my license - oops, I didn't have it. He still wrote me a warning :)

So I'm 2 for 3.

John gets a ticket every time he is pulled over - but he does stuff like roll through stop signs and speed where he knows there are traps.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John gets a ticket every time he is pulled over - but he does stuff like roll through stop signs and speed where he knows there are traps.
I got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign once. I stopped, and then this jackass pulled up next to me getting ready to turn left. I rolled forward so I could see around him, no cars, I keep rolling and turn. Cop pulls me over because he missed my original stop. WHATEVER! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts