Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's his 40th. Has grand plans for a big birthday but has no idea what those plans should actually be.

Decides in late December that all he ever wanted for his 40th birthday was to sit on a beach at an all-inclusive resort on some island and not have to worry about a thing.

Late December - we don't have passports - birthday is Feb. 7.

Finds a loophole - you can cruise without a passport as long as you leave from and return to the same US port. Decides he wants a 7 day Carribean cruise. This is two weeks before birthday. Also, MUCH more expensive birthday trip than I was anticipating. While we try to figure it out - money, Riley... - cruise gets sold out.

"I guess I'm not going anywhere then."

Week before birthday. Suggest Vegas. Can't decide.

Today, Wednesday before birthday on Sunday. Still can't decide. Keep in mind I have not yet requested days off because I have no idea what days I would need. I have not yet made any plans for any sort of party because I have no idea if we'll be here.

Sitting here waiting for him to call me, text me, something with a decision so I can jump into action - a yes to trip or a no to trip gets a must-do-by-Saturday list either way, just a completely different one.

Also, my brother called and asked if we were doing anything for Jason's birthday. Mentioned Vegas. They are now ready to go with, just waiting on the word - the same yes or no word I'm waiting on.

Asked Jason a minute ago if he'd had any revelations.

And I quote: Nothing yet... still thinking. Might check other options again.

That thumping sound you hear is my head banging on my desk.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Holy smoke. I'd get him a bag of kitty litter, sprinkle it on the kitchen floor, toss him some Coppertone and snark: "Welcome to the beach, birthday boy."

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Holy smoke. I'd get him a bag of kitty litter, sprinkle it on the kitchen floor, toss him some Coppertone and snark: "Welcome to the beach, birthday boy."
Ha Ha Ha! Maybe he's him hawing around thinking you're gonna surprise him. If I were you, I'd book the trip to Vegas, invite the brother, take off work, pack his clothes and put him on the plane. There done.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Ugh. You know what? Book something and call him back and say..Surprise we're going to X. And go where you want to go. :)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it's the Super Bowl. But since we haven't made any plans, he'd be watching the game on his 40th birthday with just me and I don't think that's what he had in mind!

Regarding Vegas: "It's only fun if you go with other people." Thanks, babe.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I meant watching the Superbowl in Miami. ;)

Neil says the same thing about Vegas - wishing other couples were with us. What's up with that?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I get it. I'm slow. =) That's as expensive as the cruise!

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Oh, I get it. I'm slow. =) That's as expensive as the cruise!
But it's a **** good 40th birthday! I could never do that though - spend that much money on a few hours of entertainment. I just thought with your Colts playing and all....

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But it's a **** good 40th birthday! I could never do that though - spend that much money on a few hours of entertainment. I just thought with your Colts playing and all....
In 2012 Indianapolis has the Super Bowl. We'll see the Colts in that one when we don't have to worry about the travel costs. ;-)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
This is why for my husband's 40th I told him I was in charge of it and he just needed to sit back and go with the flow. Of course, planning and executing the surprise party / surprise visits by his sisters was exhausting in and of itself. And for my birthday, I put him in charge only with the request that I wanted a big party. Which he did a fabulous job putting together.

Good luck. But with the Vegas thing - doesn't your brother count as "other people"?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Sounds like the cruise was in the cards. Find one a month or so out. Get a good price. Book it, and let him know. He's 40, it doesn't have to be on his birthday. Go out for a mice dinner that night.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is why for my husband's 40th I told him I was in charge of it and he just needed to sit back and go with the flow. Of course, planning and executing the surprise party / surprise visits by his sisters was exhausting in and of itself. And for my birthday, I put him in charge only with the request that I wanted a big party. Which he did a fabulous job putting together.

Good luck. But with the Vegas thing - doesn't your brother count as "other people"?
Yes he does. =) I only found out about my brother possibly coming today. Up until then the decision was whether we were going by ourselves.

Sounds like the cruise was in the cards. Find one a month or so out. Get a good price. Book it, and let him know. He's 40, it doesn't have to be on his birthday. Go out for a mice dinner that night.
You don't know my husband. If it's not on the birthday, it's just a vacation, not a birthday trip.

I already suggested taking a cruise at a later date. Didn't fly.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Does he want to party or does he want to chill? There's Vegas, NYC, Boston, California, Key West...there's tons of stuff. Pop on to Expedia and take charge!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does he want to party or does he want to chill? There's Vegas, NYC, Boston, California, Key West...there's tons of stuff. Pop on to Expedia and take charge!
Don't think I haven't already tried all this. I have tried. I have spent countless hours of countless days trying to find an acceptable spot.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He wanted to look up trips to Puerto Rico before he decided. Puerto Rico was MY idea a week ago and he showed no interest whatsoever!

I said I can't, I have to know now. "Then I guess we're not going anywhere."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts