Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... firstly all I can say is BLEH! This thing has gotten so complicated, I honestly don't know whether to feel hopeful or despair anymore.

Things that are wrong:

Mitral Valve: repaired by mayo, slight leak when she left mayo clinic, now moderate to severe leak which they can't do anything about (can't reopen her up this soon after open heart surgery)

Rhythm: Left and right ventricle are beating at opposite rhythms... "most inefficient heartbeat I've seen" (cardiologist)... possible solution: biventricular valve pacemaker... they tried putting in the "easy no intubation" way last week but failed. They will do it the "hard" way (going through from her side instead of on top where the current pacemaker is) and put mom under for it on Wednesday (they hope). 33% chance she will show significant improvement, 33% chance of very slight improvement, 33% no change whatsoever

Fluid buildup: She's on a lot of lasix (spelling?) to draw off the fluid building up that her heart can't process fast enough... this led her to loose too much last week and her blood pressure went down to 50! (ugg!).. they put in a chest tube to draw off the fluid around the lungs.

Lung problems: Mom has SOME radiation damage from her cancer treatment in the 70s (not as bad as the heart but it has damage that is affecting it's ability to work properly).. but worse than that... and forgive me for the lack of techical terms... after they drew off the fluid around her lungs, her lungs started to touch the chest wall (is that what it's called?) so now she can't breathe (lungs can't expand) very well. I'm really not sure what they are doing about this other than giving it time to correct itself? :-\

She's worse off than she was last week. Last week she could get up out of her chair and hug someone when they came in the door, she could walk down the hall and sit in the little area near the windows... now she can't walk the four feet to go to the bathroom. Last week she would have had me stay with her for hours on end if I could in the hospital room... yesterday after an hour she told us to leave cause she needed rest. She says that compared to this... stage 3 breast cancer (and treatment) was "a cakewalk."

I'm worried... I'm upset. I'm stressed. I honestly feel like we are getting to the point where hope is running thin. I'm losing my faith that the doctors CAN get things back on track. I'm starting to feel like maybe there are just too many things wrong.. they can't fix one problem without causing another.. or if they do fix one thing, it won't be the improvement we are looking for.. the other problems keep dragging her further and further down. Mom has a hard uphill battle and she's losing strength fast to be able to do it. Hell I am losing my own strength to be able to support and help her.

This is rough... I think the thing that is bothering me most is seeing her without that spark in her (something she's never lost in all she's been through) and the uncertainty about what they can do about some of these problems (valve/lung).

I'm scared.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
(((Hugs))) Linds. #1 - You're not alone in this; we're here for you. #2 - Keep in mind that the road to recovery is often two steps forward, one step back. Prayers for you and Mom that the docs will get this all under control quickly and start progressing her again.... :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lindsay you know how to reach me. Whatever you need, whatever the time is just call. You are your mom are in my thoughts all the time. Hugs to you both.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Lindsay, I am so sorry about all of this. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I wish I were closer and could provide you more support than this thread, please continue to use us as your sounding board. I have to believe in miracles, and am praying that one comes true for you. Hugs to you.

G

·
Lindsay-
I am so very sorry. I wish that there was something that all of us could do. Please know that I will keep you and your mom close in my thoughts and prayers today and for as long as needed.

Take care-
Joann

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Lindsay, I'm not quite sure what to say. I sit here reading this with tears in my eyes. :'(
As our friend Nance says, by your side my friend.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
(((((((((hugs)))))))))))
I'm keeping you guys in my prayers.
dweck said:
(((Hugs))) Linds. #1 - You're not alone in this; we're here for you. #2 - Keep in mind that the road to recovery is often two steps forward, one step back. Prayers for you and Mom that the docs will get this all under control quickly and start progressing her again.... :)
This is so true. I'll be praying for strength for you guys and guidance for the doctors.
Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
*hugs*

Just praying and hoping everything goes well for your mom and she comes out of all this fine.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Special intentions going for your mom Lots and lots of prayers. I think you should use us as your sounding board and know that though we can't all be in the same room as you we are all here for you!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Thanks for the Update Lindsey I've been keeping your mother in my thoughts and prayers. Is there any way she can go back to Mayo? I don't know if they would have more experience or be able to help her more.

G

·
Linds, I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I've got no solutions - but will be here to lend a shoulder whenever you need it. We will keep your mom and you all in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
You all must be so frustrated. I'm so sorry this is happening ..... Prayers that she will soon begin to make a huge turnaround for the better. I'm just so sorry for what she (and the family) are going through.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Lindsey, I am so sorry. Saying a prayer for your Mom and I hope things will take a turn for the better real soon. ((((hugs)))) to you and I know you are going through a hard time. We're all here for you and hoping things get better real soon.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Lindsay, I'm so sorry about all of this. I hope the doctors can get your mom all fixed up and recovering right away.

We're always here for you. Please keep us updated.

Sending you good thoughts and (((((((HUGS))))))).

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bacatherine said:
Is there any way she can go back to Mayo?
I'm sure there's "a way" but I don't think she wants to or that it's recommended. The surgery she needs is something that the surgeons do all the time (unlike her last surgery where mayo had a large advantage in # of surgeries performed) and I think she'd rather be closer to home, closer to all the people who can visit her everyday... and it's better for Tom (my little brother).

Oh and as for the two steps forward, one step back... the problem is that lately we've been going one step forward, two steps back... mom even titled a blog entry "two steps back"

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Hugs and prayers here Lindsey - you need to be Mom's spark for now - and she'll get hers back! Know how hard this is for you!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts