Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lure Coursing is actually an AKC field event for sight hounds where they chase a lure attached to a wire around a field. The wire goes around pulleys and changes direction frequently before ending back and the starting point.
Last weekend at the DockDog competition there was a lure course set up to raise money for canine cancer. We went over to watch and though Duke was bored Freckles went wild every time the lure on the wire flew past. I finally bought a couple of tickets and Freckles absolutely loved chasing that lure.
I watched a couple of Labs try but it was almost embarrassing to watch. Not only did they not care to chase the lure but when the operator reversed the direction and ran the lure back trying to get them interested they actually backed away then turned tail and ran away.
However, one of our local dock dog club Labs really loved it. Buddy, a young yellow boy, really became fascinated with chasing the lure, so much so he created quite a laugh from the spectators watching the DockDog event.
The lure course was set up about a hundred yards away from the dock. After one of his Jumps Buddy came up the exit ramp out of the tank then before he could be leashed he bounded down the exit stairs and running directly to the lure course he jumped the 3 foot plastic fencing, and entered himself in the lure chase in progress. People were falling out of the DockDog bleachers laughing watching Buddy's handler trying to chase him down.
Just wondering if any one here ever gave it a try?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Belle did many years ago and did pretty well at it. The sight hound people laughed and said that another sight "hound" was born! I know Kodi would adore doing that. She loves to chase anything that moves.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
That story - HILARIOUS! OMG...I can just picture Buddy cutting loose from Dock Diving to go chase the lure. I bet the people in the stands were HOWLING with laughter!

I have several friends at the club with sight hounds who are really into this, but I've never done it. I've always wanted to try it. :) I think they are trying to get our club more involved in this, so maybe one day I will have an opportunity.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I think my Lucy would have excelled - Diesel might like it. Blaise would chase for about 5 seconds then find some good sniffs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts